Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default steering issues

I have a 99 z28 m6. I ve 100k on it and i have two steering issues that are driving me crazy. (no pun intended) anyway first prob;em is my steering wheel has a little bit of side to side slop. maybe 1/2 inch. I wanna get that out of there and was wondering if i can adjust it at the box bc thats where its at. 2 next problem is the pin on my column is worn bc if i pull hard enough the steering wheel moves, i ve done it launching the car once or twice. Is their an easy way to fix that or do i need to replace the column. thanks for the help
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

for the play in the steering wheel check you inner and outer tie rods. do this by jacking the car up in the front and while looking the tie rods try too move the tire from side too side if you see the outer tie rod move up and down or the inner move in or out replace them. of the steering wheel moving up and down there is a bushing kit you have too buy and there is also a special tool too press the pins out.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man. didnt even think to check them. It feels like its in the box but i ll check the tie rods. any one got advice on fixing the steering column to keep it from dropping
Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my column out and took it to a shop that is dedicated to rebuilding steering columns. It cost me 300$ but when you look at all the bits and pieces in there I thought it was worth it.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

there is not a steering box on our cars its a rack n pinion setup.
the problem with the steering column is a bushing kit you can buy from the dealership
Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks 6speed. I look for a write up and probably try to tackle this sometime this week then

Quick Reply: steering issues