Old 10-27-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone heard of this new Police device

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/...uring-traffic/
Old 10-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Big brother is gaining ground. I suspect the sheeple will feel comforted that the police will use this to protect them.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Benjamin Franklin.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I could see it getting abused!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I could see it getting abused!
The fact that it is being used at all means our rights are being abused. This is a violation of privacy plain and simple.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like an easy way for officers to prove their case in court in regards to citations issued for using a cell while driving. Could be useful in criminal cases as well, doesn't seem so bad to me
Old 10-27-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

i have an idea.. just say "i dont have a phone".. or place it somewhere you cant see it. They would have to plug into the phone to use it, its not wifi or 3-4g... has to be hardlined.. This wont go over well in CA if they pull over a celeb or even an agent for many celebs.. privacy laws will prohibit this..
Old 10-27-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would not consent to the search. I like the advice about placing your phone out-of-sight, along with the bottle of whiskey.

I am not a lawyer, but I would say the data gathered would be equivalent to checking phone records, and then some. I will venture a guess and say the people who had this used on them consented to its use or a search warrant was obtained. Even if that happened, I am sure the scope and use is limited.

You can't trust the media, you can't trust the cops, but you can trust what you know.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yea iv heard of that. Iv heard of alot of other things also that would make me sound like a conspiracy nut. Hey, big brother, big government and new world order are here man stand up and shout.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Default ...

The machine actually downloads all the data in the phone pics deleted call logs text everything needs no battery power and its used in michigan right now and as of right now its completely legal for them to use. Search and seizure does not apply to cell phones as the supreme court doesnt not consider these private.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I won't give it up to them. It will be maintained locked and probably turned off if that stupid machine comes to play.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mannyman84
I won't give it up to them. It will be maintained locked and probably turned off if that stupid machine comes to play.
The machine unlocks and powers up the cellphone your battery can actually be removed from the phone and it could still download the information.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Right on, you only lose it once. Don't give it up man.

lolz
Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
The machine unlocks and powers up the cellphone your battery can actually be removed from the phone and it could still download the information.
I'm **** out of luck then hu! Lol. What if I say I don't have one, I know 2 people out of all the people I know that have no phone. (cellphone)

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Right on, you only lose it once. Don't give it up man.

lolz
that didn't sound right. I'm not easy man!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Yea iv heard of that. Iv heard of alot of other things also that would make me sound like a conspiracy nut. Hey, big brother, big government and new world order are here man stand up and shout.
Yep......get ready sheeples are going to roll. Just look at the all the Occupy movements......
Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

The machine actually downloads all the data in the phone pics deleted call logs text everything needs no battery power and its used in michigan right now and as of right now its completely legal for them to use. Search and seizure does not apply to cell phones as the supreme court doesnt not consider these private.
There are limits, they can't just do it on routine traffic stops (according to them) without a warrant or consent.

Here is the upcoming Supreme Court case addressing the use of these devices: http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/10-1259.htm
Old 10-28-2011, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations.
Their official statement after working with the ACLU:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...4783--,00.html

The MSP only uses the DEDs if a search warrant is obtained or if the person possessing the mobile device gives consent.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Their official statement after working with the ACLU:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...4783--,00.html

The MSP only uses the DEDs if a search warrant is obtained or if the person possessing the mobile device gives consent.
There are some rights left.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"The MSP only uses the DEDs if a search warrant is obtained or if the person possessing the mobile device gives consent. The department’s internal directive is that the DEDs only be used by MSP specialty teams on criminal cases, such as crimes against children."
The DEDs are not being used to extract citizens’ personal information during routine traffic stops.

Guys, our rites are NOT being violated, lol.
If you don't have anything to hide, then giving consent isn't an issue, because you don't have anything to hide.
If you do have something to hide, then well...you only have yourself to blame I suppose. It's not the officers' fault if you get caught doing something illegal. Like if you're street racing, and you get pulled over for it. It's your fault, not the cops'.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
"The MSP only uses the DEDs if a search warrant is obtained or if the person possessing the mobile device gives consent. The department’s internal directive is that the DEDs only be used by MSP specialty teams on criminal cases, such as crimes against children."
The DEDs are not being used to extract citizens’ personal information during routine traffic stops.

Guys, our rites are NOT being violated, lol.
If you don't have anything to hide, then giving consent isn't an issue, because you don't have anything to hide.
If you do have something to hide, then well...you only have yourself to blame I suppose. It's not the officers' fault if you get caught doing something illegal. Like if you're street racing, and you get pulled over for it. It's your fault, not the cops'.
I wouldn't consent even if I had nothing to hide, primarily because it is none of their business. Oh, and its my right.

Last edited by BigDaddyBry; 10-28-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone heard of this new Police device