Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 t56 96 trans am swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 t56 96 trans am swap questions

Hi I'm new to v8 but been modifiying turbo imports for years.
I've searched and searched I need help! I want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head.

I'm about to buy a clean 96 auto trans am with 2000 body conversion...for 800 bucks no motor or trans. Think car was v6 originally n think he had a 383 in it

Plans: lq4 ,t56, single turbo,hp tuners, all the obvious other stuff

Problems/questions:engine mount/crossmember,which t56, how hard to do manual swap in this car, which harness n computer do I use and is it worth it. And yes it has to be manual

Please help....advise anything......thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Plans: lq4 ,t56, single turbo,hp tuners, all the obvious other stuff

Sounds fun!

Problems/questions:engine mount/crossmember
LS1 k member and mounts. You will probably want to pick up a tubular turbo k member. A few of the sponsors here sell them.

which t56
LS1 T56

how hard to do manual swap in this car
Easy! Just a bit of cutting and rewiring. There is a how-to around here somewhere. You could probably find it easily with a search.

which harness n computer do I use and is it worth it.
99+ pcm and wiring would be your best bet

Please help....advise anything......thanks
Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks a lot man!

I figured the ls1 tubular k member would do it. But I read somewhere that It won't bolt up to 96 trans am. And I read something about having to use steering rack from ls1 camaro.

What cutting is involved in manual swap?

Even though I'm getting the car for 800 bucks n it looks like a 2000 (bumper swap) would the wiring,tranny,pedals and all the stuff I need make it not worth it? Sould I save n just get the right chassis. I don't want to think 800 is a deal....but spend 5 grand just to make it like a stock 6 speed shell. Then have to still do lq9 setup
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

You'll wind up spending 5k on this project.. You will need the LS1 steering rack and steering coupler. You have to obviousely cut the hole in the floor for the shifter and the hole for the clutch master cylinder.

Where are you from. If you decide to pass on the car I would like to have it if you dont mind passing on the deal. I want an Auto/LS1 looking car since I already have 2 6-speed LT1 cars
Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Thing is if I don't think its worth doing it my way....I may get it running in stock form n drive it for a while then sell it. U said 5k for project is that running with lq9,harness,tranny n all? Just asking

Quick Reply: lq4 t56 96 trans am swap questions