Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Splitting the Intake Pipe

Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splitting the Intake Pipe

If I run E85 I won't have to run a cooler. If I am thinking about this correctly the piping from my throttle body intake will need to run a few inches and a bov placed. Immediately after the bov I would split the piping to both the passenger side and drivers side in front of my radiator. This is for a twins set up using the factory truck manifolds. What size piping is being used and any details of how this is being done. I plan on mocking this up but having someone else weld everything. Just want to make sure I explain it correctly.

Thanks. Pics always appreciated.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use the same size pipe as what connects to the outlet of your turbo's compressor housing. I bet 2" would work fine.

It doesn't matter all too much what diameter you use though, you may want to run 2.5" just for looks
Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by killernoodle
I would use the same size pipe as what connects to the outlet of your turbo's compressor housing. I bet 2" would work fine.

It doesn't matter all too much what diameter you use though, you may want to run 2.5" just for looks
I was thinking 2.5 to the compressor housing but Is it 4" pipe that immediately comes off the throttle body just before you split it?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Something like mine?

Old 10-28-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wicked69
I was thinking 2.5 to the compressor housing but Is it 4" pipe that immediately comes off the throttle body just before you split it?
I figured you would be combining the 2" pipes into a larger pipe to go into the throttle body like the picture above. Yes, the OD of the throttle body is about 4", so a 4" pipe would work, it just needs a little work to make that happen. A decent fabricator should be able to do that.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

I made a merge for two 2.5" pipes into a single 3". These run into my intercooler obviously, but you get the idea. This was my first go at making a merge, so I was happy the way it came out.

Here is another example I found a while ago, pretty serious setup.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Beast
Something like mine?

Yes. That is exactly how I was thinking. I have tons of engine bay room and was going to run them strait to the compressor from the "Y" like you have. I was going to use the truck manifolds flipped and figured a very simple set up. Especially since we dont' need an intercooler.

I noticed you are running E85. Did you use a cooler? Any pics of any of the installation and what size pipes, everything would be awesome. I was just going to run 2.5 in exhaust out right next to the engine by the firewall and under the car and out the back to look stock.

I appreciate all the pics from everyone explaining the set up. I think the beast has a very similiar set up.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GulfM3
I made a merge for two 2.5" pipes into a single 3". These run into my intercooler obviously, but you get the idea. This was my first go at making a merge, so I was happy the way it came out.

]

Here is another example I found a while ago, pretty serious setup.

Actually I didn't even see this picture before. That is the same intake and elbow I am using (I think) and the turbo placement will be very similiar. Any pictures from above on this vehicle? This is what I am referring to.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Old 10-28-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a premade one from WrenchRat, that will merge two pipes to one and has a mount for a Tail BOV also.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_15.html

I use a modified one with their kit, on a TwinTurbo 65 Malibu I did over last winter.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

All those are really nice. I think mine will probably straight for a good ft and then split and run along the top and in front of the radiator. Keep them coming though. Anyone who is running these with E85 and no intercooler for twins. That would give us a little different picture.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car above is E85, no intercooler, and twins.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by atomic 6
The car above is E85, no intercooler, and twins.
I meant to add with the truck manifolds flipped....either way the picture above is very close to how I will be doing it except with the stock serpentine system. Maybe...
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Yes. That is exactly how I was thinking. I have tons of engine bay room and was going to run them strait to the compressor from the "Y" like you have. I was going to use the truck manifolds flipped and figured a very simple set up. Especially since we dont' need an intercooler.

I noticed you are running E85. Did you use a cooler? Any pics of any of the installation and what size pipes, everything would be awesome. I was just going to run 2.5 in exhaust out right next to the engine by the firewall and under the car and out the back to look stock.

I appreciate all the pics from everyone explaining the set up. I think the beast has a very similiar set up.
Exhaust side is home made turbo manifolds with sch10 1.5" primaries straight into the vband turbine housings with 3" down pipes off each turbo. Cold side 2.5" to 3" couplers right off the turbo's to 2 a2w's under each headlights. Also have a 12 gallon ice chest and a large heat exchanger with a scoop on one side a 3 puller fans on the other side under the car where the muffler was.

A2W's and plumbing

Heat exchanger

Throttle body

Turbo placement

Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Beast
Exhaust side is home made turbo manifolds with sch10 1.5" primaries straight into the vband turbine housings with 3" down pipes off each turbo. Cold side 2.5" to 3" couplers right off the turbo's to 2 a2w's under each headlights. Also have a 12 gallon ice chest and a large heat exchanger with a scoop on one side a 3 puller fans on the other side under the car where the muffler was.

A2W's and plumbing

Heat exchanger

Throttle body

Turbo placement

That is absolutely sick! I appreciate the pictures and the details..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Splitting the Intake Pipe