Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sponser help with TC bolt length

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sponser help with TC bolt length

So I got my new TCI Flexplate, Yank SS3600 converter, and performabuilt transmission all bolted up. Checked my gap from the converter to the flexplate and I need a 1/8 spacer. So now my ARP TC bolts are way to short. After taking all the measurements I need a TC bolt that is 23 mm long. Does anyone know if you can get an ARP M10 x1.5 x 23mm bolt? Or can I find a grade 10.9 some where that length. I'm guessing I might be able to find a 25mm length, but would I be able to just grind it down or would that effect the strength of it. Anything over 24mm will bottom out in the converter.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sure they are not long enough? I think it was only 3 threads that yank said I needed into my converter to be good. I got over the amount yank recomended so I went with it.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Sure they are not long enough? I think it was only 3 threads that yank said I needed into my converter to be good. I got over the amount yank recomended so I went with it.
Well the ARP bolts I would only get 1 1/2 threads. I did get some 20 mm length bolts with the flexplate and those would get me 4 threads. I was always under the impression you wanted the thread engagement at least the diameter of the bolt if not 1.5 times the diameter. Which because of the blind hole I would never get 1.5 times.

Maybe with 10.9 grade bolts you don't need a full diameter thread engagement?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BBUIKEMA
Well the ARP bolts I would only get 1 1/2 threads. I did get some 20 mm length bolts with the flexplate and those would get me 4 threads. I was always under the impression you wanted the thread engagement at least the diameter of the bolt if not 1.5 times the diameter. Which because of the blind hole I would never get 1.5 times.

Maybe with 10.9 grade bolts you don't need a full diameter thread engagement?
If you have a rule of thumb that you feel comfortable with then do it.
Your the mechanic in this situation

Yank recomended the number of threads to me. I threaded them in and felt they would do the trick. So thats what I went with.

Maybe give Dave @ yank a call and see what he says?