Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

snow and ice removal and scratching

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow and ice removal and scratching

I'd kinda like to keep my Camaro out of storage over the winter (at least through December) and drive it some of the time when it is not snowing (it isn't my daily driver but I really like driving it.) It does snow here in Pittsburgh but the majority of the time there is no snow.

If it snows a few inches and the snow is sitting on the car, does pushing it off the car (or it sliding off as it melts) cause any scratching? I'm guessing it would...but thinking that if it does there has to be a way to minimize it given alot of guys keep their daily drivers nice.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by theaccountant
I'd kinda like to keep my Camaro out of storage over the winter (at least through December) and drive it some of the time when it is not snowing (it isn't my daily driver but I really like driving it.) It does snow here in Pittsburgh but the majority of the time there is no snow.

If it snows a few inches and the snow is sitting on the car, does pushing it off the car (or it sliding off as it melts) cause any scratching? I'm guessing it would...but thinking that if it does there has to be a way to minimize it given alot of guys keep their daily drivers nice.
I always wondered what would happen if salt was put on a car when parked. Will it hurt anything?

Grind it up, toss it all over the top surfaces.....then hose it off when putting it away.

Just wondering/.................

Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know the chemistry of it, but I hear that road salt is bad for a vehicle all of the time...can't imagine purposely putting it on the paint on purpose is a good thing.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

idk OP i would just put your car away..its not worth it..i know you love driving it but i am pretty sure you love taking care of it too..just put it away ..
Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have scratches from doing this on my hatch in front of the spoiler when snow melts underneith and then freezes again it turns to ice and the ice will scratch and as far as salt thrown on the car I cannot see how that would be at all good
Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just have your car hand car washed at indoor places weekly during the winter.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

If you are careful about it, you will only get some surface scratches. Use some ScratchX in the spring and do a full detail. It should shine up just fine. The bigger danger is the salt/cinders on the road being kicked up by your tires onto the fenders.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds crazy and you are sure to get looks from the neighbors but you can use a leave blower on it be for it turns to ice and slides off
Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would keep it stored! why ruin a nice car with rain and snow and such!are you in the city of pittsburgh?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

The best way to minimize any scratching is probable to just scrape it off the windows and drive away. If the snow falls off I doubt it will do anything to the paint. As far as putting salt on the car, it will not melt all of the snow so having the salt under the snow when you brush it off could possible scratch the paint.

Quick Reply: snow and ice removal and scratching