Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Beginning my winter 5.3 turbo build...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beginning my winter 5.3 turbo build...

Hello FI section!
I have been a long time member but just recently ventured over to the FI section. I have built a lot of h,c,i ls1 cars over the years. My last project was a 98 c5 with a 408 and d1sc. It was my first FI car. It is now gone and I am looking at doing a budget 5.3 lm7 turbo into my 1995 z28. I have a few questions after doing my endless hours of searching and reading up on everyone's build threads, which helped a lot. I have a ton of left over parts from all my builds. I am looking to get all my parts together and start a build. So far I am thinking stock junkyard 5.3 (bought for $100),stock heads with upgraded springs and pushroads,arp head studs,cometics head gaskets,ls1 intake manifold,60lbs injectors, dual 255's and a meth kit. Running a egay gt45 turbo looking for 8-10 psi. I know a lot of people are not high on this turbo, but this build is more about budget and left over parts. I would like to see how far I can get with all my left over parts and hand-me-down My goal is 600whp. I have all these parts laying around the garage except the turbo piping and intercooler. I have a question concerning the head gaskets. I have .080 cometics head gaskets that came off the 408. With these gaskets on stock heads, how much compression would I lose? I would like to run these since they are better gaskets for boost, and I have them laying around. I know the bore size is bigger than the 5.3, will that make a difference? Also this may be a dumb question but could I mill the heads a little bit to compensate for the thicker head gaskets? Will I run the risk of "lifting" the heads with a smaller deck height? I know a lot more needs to be looked at but I am just now putting all my parts together and trying to see what I can use and what I can't. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

i would use the ls9 headgaskets and get it over with. i havent heard of anyone with problems useing them on boost, and they would be cheaper than milling anything. jmho
-Tony
Old 11-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

StrokerLS1,
I see you live in the "A", same here.

Do you have any good recommendations for an engine machine shop in town? I have a 5.3 I'm working on as well.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tonytone4143
i would use the ls9 headgaskets and get it over with. i havent heard of anyone with problems useing them on boost, and they would be cheaper than milling anything. jmho
-Tony
True. Ill probably go that route. Would the bigger bore gaskets work with the smaller bore engine? Im guessing if all the cooling holes line up it wouldnt be a problem. Thanks for the advise!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bmech211
StrokerLS1,
I see you live in the "A", same here.

Do you have any good recommendations for an engine machine shop in town? I have a 5.3 I'm working on as well.
I do. If they are not a sponsor on here, I don't think I can name them. Shoot me a pm and Ill give you their information.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StrokerLS1
True. Ill probably go that route. Would the bigger bore gaskets work with the smaller bore engine? Im guessing if all the cooling holes line up it wouldnt be a problem. Thanks for the advise!
yes you will be fine