Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water coming out exhaust?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water coming out exhaust?????

A buddy of mine did his swap and started it for the first time today but he said that he was getting water out his exhaust, nothing in his oil and did not look milky or foamy. Any ideas? I asked him to send me more info but he is in London so the 5 hour time difference makes it hard so i thought i would see if i could start to get some info for him early.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Any chance he is just looking too closely?
Water is a natural byproduct of combustion albeit in small qualities and it mostly stays as steam past the end of the exhaust.

Or are we talking copious amounts of water or water that is green and tastes sweet.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

A few drips is normal, a white cloud means headgasket
Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this also only during warm-up? Probably just condensation and a poor cold-start tune.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rfrankb4
Water is a natural byproduct of combustion albeit in small qualities and it mostly stays as steam past the end of the exhaust.

Or are we talking copious amounts of water or water that is green and tastes sweet.
I hope you meant "smells" sweet and not "tastes" sweet, no one should ever be tasting antifreeze of any kind! Just a lick can kill a pet, just wanted to make sure no one made the fatal mistake.

However, I'm with everyone else, how much water are we talking here?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM
The House is Rockin'

Tell him to call the funeral home and make arrangements, his motor is FUBAR!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Teching In

deja vu?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...haust-ls1.html
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by x Wild Bill x
I hope you meant "smells" sweet and not "tastes" sweet, no one should ever be tasting antifreeze of any kind! Just a lick can kill a pet, just wanted to make sure no one made the fatal mistake.

However, I'm with everyone else, how much water are we talking here?
Lethal dose in humans is around 2 shots. Animals would obviously need less but even a small dog would need way more than a lick to be fatal or even make them sick.

You are right no one should be drinking it or allowing others to do so. I have however been known on occasion to get a drop on the tip of my pinky and taste it to differentiate between various possibilities for a leak when the amounts are insufficient to easily visually identify it as being coolant (which in my cars is usually around 25% concentration so would require significantly more for problems) ATF, Motor oil or condensation.

Last edited by rfrankb4; 11-02-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 AM
The House is Rockin'

Lethal dose in humans is around 2 shots. Animals would obviously need less but even a small dog would need way more than a lick to be fatal or even make them sick.

You are right no one should be drinking it or allowing others to do so. I have however been known on occasion to get a drop on the tip of my pinky and taste it to differentiate between various possibilities for a leak when the amounts are insufficient to easily visually identify it as being coolant (which in my cars is usually around 25% concentration so would require significantly more for problems) ATF, Motor oil or condensation.

you are COORAZY...
Old 11-07-2011, 05:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It takes a table spoon or so of antifreeze to kill a medium sized dog. Cats can be killed with just a few licks off the driveway. A very slow and painful death too. The problem is compounded by the fact the animals like the taste of it, so never leave a puddle in your driveway.

For human consumption the rumor is you need to filter it through a loaf of wonder bread first. You read about people who routinely drink both antifreeze as well as brake fluid that way. Sad.

And yes, it is common to see water spitting out of tailpipes on cars, especially when they are warming up.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xyster
A buddy of mine did his swap and started it for the first time today but he said that he was getting water out his exhaust, nothing in his oil and did not look milky or foamy. Any ideas? I asked him to send me more info but he is in London so the 5 hour time difference makes it hard so i thought i would see if i could start to get some info for him early.
this thread went from good to retard in a split second. Can we answer the question please and get off the lethality of antifreeze? Lmao. ANYWAY.... I have some water oil mix coming out from directly under my vehicle (after it’s been parked) and I noticed yesterday that during a cold start, that same
oil water mix was like “splattering” out of the back of my exhaust..... not too worried but I’d love to know what’s going on in there to cause this... no white or blue smoke either. Thank you. Runs normally 🤞🏽 And no loss of power. Thanks

Old 09-23-2020, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tornadogward
this thread went from good to retard in a split second. Can we answer the question please and get off the lethality of antifreeze? Lmao. ANYWAY.... I have some water oil mix coming out from directly under my vehicle (after it’s been parked) and I noticed yesterday that during a cold start, that same
oil water mix was like “splattering” out of the back of my exhaust..... not too worried but I’d love to know what’s going on in there to cause this... no white or blue smoke either. Thank you. Runs normally 🤞🏽 And no loss of power. Thanks

I get the same from mine. It makes enough water during warm up to make a spot under each outlet. Its condensation and carbon. That's why short tripping a lot will rot an exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (09-23-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Water is a natural byproduct of combustion albeit in small qualities...
Not exactly "small quantities"....

Anytime a hydrocarbon fuel is combusted, the primary products of combustion are H20 and CO2. There are also smaller amounts of other things - the 3 big ones that emission controls work on controlling are oxides of nitrogen (NOx), carbon monoxide (CO) and unburned hydrocarbons (HC). The carbon and hydrogen in gasoline oxidize (burn in the presence oxygen) into water vapor and carbon dioxide. A LOT of water vapor is produced. And on a cold start up, even during the summer, the exhaust system acts like a big condenser. All vehicles will spit water out the exhaust on a cold start up -- particularly if you get into the throttle hard under load while things are cold. The muffler acts like a water storage container when it's cold - and when you push a lot of exhaust out with a big throttle opening - water can quite literally pour/shower out of the tailpipes. Once the system warms up, the water evaporates and then comes out in the form of water vapor. Let your car warm up completely and then place your hand right behind the/a tailpipe exit. Your hand gets moist in a hurry as water vapor condenses on your hand. Completely normal.

Back in '78 we bought our first new car - a 1978 Rabbit. Lived in married housing at Georgia Tech and my wife worked at the Tech procurement office. .7 mile commute from our apartment. The car basically filled its muffler with water on the way to work. Sat all day and then re-filled it on the way home and sat all night. In November of '78, 8 months after we bought the car, I put a fancy ANSA muffler on it -- because the factory unit has rusted completely through from the inside out. Most newer stuff has aluminized pipe and stainless in the mufflers -- they hold up MUCH better today than they used to.....

Last edited by Michael Yount; 09-24-2020 at 06:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Yount:
G Atsma (09-24-2020), Project GatTagO (09-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Water coming out exhaust?????