Sponsored by:

how to avoid spun bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to avoid spun bearings

Getting ready to add a few parts to my 6.0,
just want a good list of stuff to change up to help avoiding the spun bearings.
I've heard about drilling the lifter carriers and porting the oil pump. Anything else to help?
Also what oil are you guys using, I like heavier oil for the summer.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this could be wholly my buddies fault for not getting it pro tuned and trying to do it himself, but he had a nicely built 6.0 h/c/i that we put into a lsx s-10 that we tore down and rebuilt from the ground up installing nothing but tubular suspenion,etc. etc. etc. anyways, he tried tuning it himself and was having a hard time getting the tables right. well he would drive maybe once a week on a stock 5.3 tune, about 50 miles to and from work and did that for about a couple months. one day on his way home it spun a bearing, with fresh bearings, fresh rings, fresh everything other then the rotating assembly. he said it was caused by driving it too much under a lean condition. could be, could not be, could be alot of things, idk.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Teching In

The more oil the better. When the engine is running the crank doesn't even touch the bearings it rides on the thin film of oil, thats why the cleareances are very important. The only time the crank touches it are under extreme loading and cold starts. Cold Starts

I am a firm beliver in AMSOIL I have it in everything I own. When I had my Duramax I would send my oil out to the lab to be tested and could get close to 20k miles on a oil cange.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Default amsoil

Originally Posted by TEXASCOASTIE
The more oil the better. When the engine is running the crank doesn't even touch the bearings it rides on the thin film of oil, thats why the cleareances are very important. The only time the crank touches it are under extreme loading and cold starts. Cold Starts

I am a firm beliver in AMSOIL I have it in everything I own. When I had my Duramax I would send my oil out to the lab to be tested and could get close to 20k miles on a oil cange.
are you using synthetic or sae 10/30 or?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Teching In

All AMSOIL is synthetic they dont have a dino oil but yes 10w30. Sometimes 5W30 or 0W30 in the winter.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just make sure your bearing clearances are not to tight.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rdkonkel
I've heard about drilling the lifter carriers and porting the oil pump. Anything else to help?
These will not influence spun bearings from occurring or not.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Running an engine lean is risking seizing the pistons to the cylinder walls . Yes clearances are by far the most important issue to avoid spun bearings aside from having clean oil to the full mark of course all this under normal conditions. Racing brings up new issues .
Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joecar
These will not influence spun bearings from occurring or not.
These are just things to keep the engine from being starved of oil.Heard it helps get the oil back down and out of the lifter carriers. And the oil pump porting just to move more oil.
Seems like with so many spun bearings on these motors there must be problem that keeps getting repeated. Besides 7000 rpm runs of course.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

These are just things to keep the engine from being starved of oil.Heard it helps get the oil back down and out of the lifter carriers. And the oil pump porting just to move more oil.
Seems like with so many spun bearings on these motors there must be problem that keeps getting repeated. Besides 7000 rpm runs of course.

This is 6.0s specifically? Or lsx motors in general? I have heard about a lot of spun bearings but.. I figured they were all abusing/had oil pump failures.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The main thing is when you put the bearing halves in, make sure the tangs are lined up correctly, and that the bearing is in its correct position, mine were marked upper and lower also right before I put them in, I wipe the bearing and saddles down with brake cleaner, it needs to be absolutely clean, then you need to check your clearances. No magic oil or tricks are gonna help if the bearing is not installed correctly and checked.

Last edited by RARON455; 11-03-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Proper assembly clearances & use of ARP or any higher tensile strength rod bolts. Higher tensile strength bolts hold caps together better during high RPM pulls.

Originally Posted by taman86
well this could be wholly my buddies fault for not getting it pro tuned and trying to do it himself, but he had a nicely built 6.0 h/c/i that we put into a lsx s-10 that we tore down and rebuilt from the ground up installing nothing but tubular suspenion,etc. etc. etc. anyways, he tried tuning it himself and was having a hard time getting the tables right. well he would drive maybe once a week on a stock 5.3 tune, about 50 miles to and from work and did that for about a couple months. one day on his way home it spun a bearing, with fresh bearings, fresh rings, fresh everything other then the rotating assembly. he said it was caused by driving it too much under a lean condition. could be, could not be, could be alot of things, idk.
Sounds more like a bearing clearance issue.