PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boosted application LS1 PCM or Truck PCM???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boosted application LS1 PCM or Truck PCM???

I am buying up stuff for my project.

I will be running E85 on 1600cc injectors. I will be running over 20psi of boost. I will be running a peak and hold driver to control the low impedance injectors.

I was going to get a 1999 or later LS1 ecu (#0411) and a custom made stand alone harness. Combined cost of about $500

I am also thinking of just getting a truck PCM and harness. I can get both the truck PCM and harness together for only $120. Then I can just use what I need and zip tie what I don't need out of the way.

Is there any reason I can't use the truck harness and PCM coupled with HP tuners or EFI Live for what I mentioned above? I have heard that the 0411 pcm is capable of up to 30psi boost levels. Is this not the case for the truck PCM's?

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

CalEditor@PCMCalibrators posted this up, but to be honest, most of it does not make sense to me. I don't know what I'm looking for in the graphs.

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
Most tuners can change the VIN to match the car

You may want to start with a DBC PCM just in case

You will want to look at the OSID's also

Last edited by SATAN; 11-02-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you want any of the ecms that are 3bar SD capable and is highlighted in blue
Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Grr
you want any of the ecms that are 3bar SD capable and is highlighted in blue
Well, here is the information available to me.

Service number 09354896 (assuming this # is the OSID number?)

hardware number 16220610

1999 5.3 chevrolet silverado

Those numbers don't seem to match anything in the blue area's....

Last edited by SATAN; 11-02-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:00 PM
9 Second Club

You can use a custom operating system to run 3 bar on the PCM you are talking about - from the 99 truck. You will have to change the injector connectors or run the conversion plugs as the truck harness has different injector plugs than the cars (and the injectors you are buying)...
Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
You can use a custom operating system to run 3 bar on the PCM you are talking about - from the 99 truck. You will have to change the injector connectors or run the conversion plugs as the truck harness has different injector plugs than the cars (and the injectors you are buying)...
Awesome, thank you for that.

Say I am using HP tuners... what does a different operating system mean exactly? Can I load it into the PCM using the HP Tuners package that I buy? Or will I have to send the PCM out somewhere to have it done? Basically, I know that Windows 7 is the operating system on my PC, but what is the operating system in the PCM?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

when you license a PCM there will be a OS tab, there you use your credits to upgrade the PCM by doing a "write entire", after that you can do your regular tuning and quick flashing.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
9 Second Club

I use EFILive, and it is a little different than HPtuners (described above)... with EFILive, there is a tutorial that explains it all in the help section - but basically, you full flash the custom operating system into the PCM, then you flash a calibration only over the custom operating system. Then you tune away... Would need to know more about your setup to determine which calibration to use (i.e. transmission, ETC or cable throttlebody)...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
I use EFILive, and it is a little different than HPtuners (described above)... with EFILive, there is a tutorial that explains it all in the help section - but basically, you full flash the custom operating system into the PCM, then you flash a calibration only over the custom operating system. Then you tune away... Would need to know more about your setup to determine which calibration to use (i.e. transmission, ETC or cable throttlebody)...
Here is a copy and paste from a post that I put up on HPTuners.com forum. Nobody has replied there yet...

You guys have answered the operating system question though, so you can ignore that part.

EDIT: Also, I would like to buy HP Tuners from a vendor on here on LS1Tech.com. I would like to buy it from a vendor that has been helpful in the community though and not just someone who jumped on here just to sell some stuff real quick. I suppose I can do a search, but do you guys happen to know who has been a helpful vendor for the LS1tech community?

Originally Posted by SATAN
Where do I start?

I have a 1985 Nissan 300zx that I am swapping a turbocharged 1999 LQ4 engine into pushing a powerglide tranny. I will be using a wire harness and PCM from a 1999 5.3 silverado that I just purchased on Ebay. The service number is 09354896 and the hardware number is 16220610.

I would like to run HP Tuners to be able to make 1000whp utilizing E85 for fuel. This will require being able to reach upwards of 30lb of boost. This will be a cable throttle body system.

I currently have an AEM wide band O2 sensor. Will HP Tuners support this wide band?
I have 1600cc low impedance injectors. I am aware that I will have to purchase a peak and hold driver (converter box) to be able to run the low impedance injectors on this PCM.

I have heard that I will need to change the operating system on the PCM I have, in order to run up to 30lbs of boost. How do I do that? Can I do this using the HP tuners package I purchase that comes with 8 credits? Do I need additional credits to do this? Can HP Tuners even put a different operating system on the PCM, or will I have to send it out somewhere to get it done?

I understand how tuning is done as I have done so on my Electromotive stand alone and my AEM EMS stand alone. But HP Tuners is new to me and without getting my hands on experience, it is hard for me to understand the differences like operating systems and what all I can do with 8 credits.

Is there any more information that you would need from me to help me understand how to use HP Tuners to acheive my goals listed above?

EDIT: I should add that I will be doing this on speed density only and will not be using a mass air sensor.

Last edited by SATAN; 11-04-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are more than a few helpful vendors here. I'd suggest a search, and make your own decision...just to be fair about it.

Quick Reply: Boosted application LS1 PCM or Truck PCM???