Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

First FI Build! Stock-ish 6.0L +

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First FI Build! Stock-ish 6.0L +

SUPER EXCITED!!!

sorry, been wanting to build a turbo motor for forever and im finally underway! first steps only have been taken, i brought my stock iron 6.0L block and stock crank in the be cleaned and inspected for the build. theyve passed the test and ive (i say i, but really the machine shop) ordered some forged scat rods and diamond pistons to keep it as close to stock cubes. arp stud kit will hold the bottom and the rods come with arp hardware the shop told me. all new bearings and plugs will be installed as well. ill be using the stock 317 heads (currently cleaned and rebuilt to stock) held down by arp studs which will put the compression ratio at 9.0:1. with a custom grind turbo cam and a 76mm turbo helping it breathe im hoping for around 800hp.
i am investing ALL that i can afford to into this build as i want it built right so it lasts, longevity is the name of the game! the truck will see limited street time but mostly live at the track via trailer for raceday. (but itd be fun and badass to drive to the track about 80kms or roughly 50miles away). still need to get an oil pump and timing set. thinking ls1 ported oil pump and a dual roller timing set from sdparts. and decide what to do with the heads, probably take them in for a port/polish. but unsure on valve, rocker, spring and pushrod choice, still need to go over the fine details with the engine shop.

ill have questions along the way, just really excited about this build and wanted to get it on this forum so it can be critiqued so as to use the collective knowledge of the community to help me out!

few quick pics, the rods(still waiting for pistons to arrive), the block and crank at the shop, and the truck its going into. its pictured there with my old roomates 5.3 ls1 motor to see how everything sat.

Thanks Folks!
Kyle.
Attached Thumbnails First FI Build! Stock-ish 6.0L +-img_0068.jpg   First FI Build! Stock-ish 6.0L +-eng-shop.jpg   First FI Build! Stock-ish 6.0L +-eng-shop-002.jpg   First FI Build! Stock-ish 6.0L +-engine-dropmember-install-008.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel ur excitment as well lol. I'm doing my first FI build also with a 390 engine. But I ran out of money after the shortblock and now its sitting in my living room lol. Congrats on ur build though! Should be bad *** when done. You should cosider frost tuning dual flash pcm. Then you can run a tune for gas and a tune for e85/race gas. That's my plan.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider*
Old 11-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

yeah that does sound good, no e85 up here but race gas sure is available! i need to get a better understanding of the boost controllers and lsx controllers, i want to run a mild tune/boost for the street and then be able to dial up some track eatin hp!!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

so need some help please, looking at oil pumps and timing sets right now. im looking at the melling 10296 high press/high volume pump, and a comp cams 7106 dual roller timing set. but i noticed as well theres a sale on the trick flow 30678533 billet dual roller timing set for $30 off. ive been looking at the sdparts website as well as summit's website. should i be searching elsewhere as well or are these good trusted parts?

thanks,
kyle.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

so after some debating and researching i decided to go with the slp dual roller and ls1 oil pump set. seemed to be a popular choice, and one that came without having to mess around with clearancing the pump and cover to fit. also ordered my fbody oil pan kit, lifter trays, and now need lifters, valvesprings, rockers and pushrods. still waiting on my pistons from diamond before they can finish the machine work on the block, then i can take everything home for assembly. hope to have the longblock built for christmas. we also spec'd the turbo today, will be running a 76mm precision, .96a/r, t4 around 15lbs of boost.

so at the shop are...
engine block
crank
rods
(pistons when they arrive)
rings coming with pistons
head gaskets
head and bottom end stud kits
camshaft
heads

on order are...
oil pump
dbl roller chain
fbody pan kit
lifter trays

still need...
lifters
pushrods
valvesprings
rocker arms
Old 11-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

stopped by the engine shop, took a few pics. they should be done next week and i can bring it home and start building!

mods, it wont let me upload the two other pictures i want... help please?
Attached Thumbnails First FI Build! Stock-ish 6.0L +-eng-shop-015.jpg   First FI Build! Stock-ish 6.0L +-eng-shop-013.jpg  

Last edited by noonzor; 11-20-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

was wondering if anyone could give me some input on selecting lifters, pushrods and valvesprings. pushrods i realize ill need to measure out and order, springs need to be stronger cause of boost, i see the ls7 lifters are a popular choice... ill be consulting with the engine shop before final decisions are made, but just wondering what the board would have to suggest.

Thanks,
Kyle.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

will be cool when you get done

Quick Reply: First FI Build! Stock-ish 6.0L +