Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission Experts needed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Experts needed!

On 3-9-2009 I took my car to Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh NC to have a major overhaul completed. Parts installed were LS2 403 Forged Stroker Motor, Patriot Stage 3 heads, Fuel system overhaul, Etc. To break it down, my 2002 Camaro on the Dyno Jet made 443 rwhp/424 rwtq on motor, and 625 rwhp/614 rwtq on nitrous (200 shot I believe). My T-56 trans was upgraded (steal shift forks, better syncros, etc) and I had an Spec stage 3+ clutch installed. Now approx.15,000ish miles later my spec stage 3+ clutch has lost a spring, my input shaft is bent, and 4-6 Bolts connecting the Transmission to the Engine block were ripped out (2-3 totally missing and approx. 2 bolts we pulled out with the aluminum treads still in the bolts) but the rest of the T-56 is ok.

FYI: in the almost 3 yrs I've had the car since the original overhaul, its been to the drag strip 1 time (after I first got it back). My end goal is to have a car that I can drive on the street 95% of the time, but also have the ability to run it at the track 2-5 times a year.

Now for the Questions:

1. What would cause the bolts connecting the transmission to the engine block to back out??? Installation error, Bad clutch, Aggressive Clutch???? Something else???

2. What would cause the input shaft to be bent????

3. What is probably the best Clutch for my application now???

4. Is there a better/upgraded input shaft I can buy, or do I put a stock one in???

5. With the power level I'm at, do I need to get the Viper output shaft conversion kit??

6. With 625 rwhp/614 rwtq are there any other parts I need to upgrade while the transmission is out??

Video Of Bent input shaft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGl3CbKA1DQ
Old 11-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

That sucks!

Did you feel any harmonic vibrations coming from the engine or clutch area prior to it blowing up?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

Hard to tell because of the cam and loudness of the exhaust
Old 11-04-2011, 04:52 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

1. Those bolts carry a fair amount of load and if not locked in, will wiggle out over time due to normal vibrations. I like to see a split lock-washer over a flat washer there.

One can guess what happened; I'll take a shot.

If the input is only partially engaging the rollers of the pilot bushing, it'll blow up and you then have an input flapping around, "disassembled" in the sense that it only has a bearing on the trans. end holding it up. Over time, those vibrations will back the bolts out. Those together are going to let the disc move around when disengaged and then move that pressure plate hub in directions other than just radially within the disc hence the spring.

With regard to the pilot bearing, only drive it in as far as the input requires, not as far as it will go.

The stock input shaft is fine when supported by proper functioning bearings.

Once to the strip in 3 years? If you're going to hit the strip on DRs or slicks, do the upgrade. If just street tires, risk it.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Thx fir you help
Old 11-05-2011, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

Bump...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Advice on clutch preference still needed