First time to the track- Famoso

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time to the track- Famoso

Hello everybody, I'm headed to the strip for the first time this weekend. I have a 2000 Z28 A4 with 3.23's out back. It's all stock except for a lid with 114,000 miles on it. It's something i've wanted to do for a while and i'm excited and just a little nervous. I have no fear going down the track i just don't want to make some rookie mistake out there, particularly when it comes to tech inspection and staging. So i'm just wondering if there's anything to watch out for or be careful about, like stupid reasons to fail inspection. Thanks for your time guys and gals.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a helmet with you, a snell approved one that is current. SOME tracks allow for rental, double chk just in case.

Make sure the battery is actually held down and not flopping around.

IF you are running street treaded tires make sure they are not so worn that they fail you.

DO NOT run your A/C on the way to the track or leave it running while there. It will drop water and get you kicked off the track and will slow you down.

Also in general if your car is leaking anything that can be seen on the track, then make sure its fixed.

Keep your windows rolled up and T-tops locked in.

Drive around the water box IF you can, do a clean but quick spin of tires.

Have your seat belt clicked in as well.

Roll up to the staging light slow, see how quick you can set both. In a competitve race sometimes there is etiqute and not clicking both stages quickly but that is also considered a "tactic" so it depends on who you ask.

Other then that, try to get all misc garbage, and junk out of the car for less weight, and race on like a 1/4 of tank of fuel. Gas up on the way home.

And most of all. HAVE FUN!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks for the advise. My car is in great shape, doesn't leak a drop, and the tires are brand new. I was concerned about the helmet but wasn't sure if i was going to need it. My goal is to get in the 13's though. Guess i'll have to track one down. Thanks again and i will be having fun.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Well i made it back in one piece and i had a great time. I managed a best of 13.47 at 104.37 on my second to last run. I'll be back in the spring with at least a catback and i'll see how much i can improve. My best 0-60 was 2.1 which i'm also hoping to improve. There was a guy there, didn't catch his name, with an 01 WS6 with shorties and DR's that did a 12.8. I don't think he's on here but if he is thanks for the help, wouldn't of got below 13.56 without it.
Attached Thumbnails First time to the track- Famoso-stage-.resize.jpg  

Quick Reply: First time to the track- Famoso