Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

98 camaro pulls to the left on hard acceleration+

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 camaro pulls to the left on hard acceleration+

I have a 98 camaro with qa1s all the way around and eibach springs prokit. got some suspension work done to it got edelbrock adjustable torque arm, umi torque arm relocation, spohn adjustable panhardbar, lakewood rear lower control arms. Vehicle has new BFG tires in the front and mickey thompson drag radials in the rear. alignment of vehicle was performed. But my problem still exists before and after alignment and new front tire replacement recently. My question is when i accelerate car picks up from the front end, shifts to the left a bit, then vehiclepulls to the left while accelerating. d?Does anyone have any expierence with this or seen this happen. What do i need to correct this problem? Bad rear lower control arms? Does anyone know whay is casuing this problem. vehicle never had this problem before at all. Problem just started recently when i started to drive vehicle.

what do you think?

Last edited by IVRedZ28LS1; 11-03-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

forgot to mention camaro has new outer tie rod ends replaced as well. when you cruise the camaro vehicle drives straight, the steering wheel is straight but as soon as you get on it (wot) car pulls to the left. What gives? what is causing this?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

"..alignment of vehicle was performed. But my problem still exists before and after alignment and ""

can you post the align specs, did the Align tech check/correct the REAR thrust line? it should be close to 0.00, maybe a little + you will need adjustable rear lower control arms to adjust rear thrust
from your statement I think your rear thrust line may be - at least -0.13 or more

"...when i accelerate car picks up from the front end, shifts to the left a bit,...""

how are your shock and springs??

just my .02'
Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 11-03-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 AM
tc3
On The Tree

having one tire with more meat then the one across from it can always cause trouble... in back may make it dogtrack and front will throw off he steering wheel.

who did the alignment? they may have not touched the rear end. if your lcas arnt adjustable then at least verify that the axle is center with the adj phb.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it pull to the left upon launch or after everything settles?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Does it pull to the left upon launch or after everything settles?

always on acceleration only!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

sure you did not get the front wheel drive option???
Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bad driver-side wheel bearing or slightly hanging caliper? What about a broken belt in the left front tire? Is there any vibration coming from the front end under steady state cruise?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with SLP2. Do you have the thrust number? As drivers we tend to compensate unknowingly at slower speeds (i.e. pull down on one side of the wheel or the other) but when the power comes on the car tends to exaggerate any troubles with the chassis.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
sure you did not get the front wheel drive option???
HA HA HA funny
Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by salemetro
Bad driver-side wheel bearing or slightly hanging caliper? What about a broken belt in the left front tire? Is there any vibration coming from the front end under steady state cruise?
Rear end was just completely rebuilt last month and new tire in the front were also replaced and balanced correctly. no vibration flet. steady state of cruise car drives straight! Its only on acceleration when it lifte the front end and pulls to the left while accelerating. When you let off the acceleration car straighten out. ???????
Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I agree with SLP2. Do you have the thrust number? As drivers we tend to compensate unknowingly at slower speeds (i.e. pull down on one side of the wheel or the other) but when the power comes on the car tends to exaggerate any troubles with the chassis.
Alignment machine calls it geom. driving axis 15 degrees is that right? All that shows up in the rear is camber , toe and geom. driving axis.

Sai? steering angle inclination?

setback?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

take a look
good luck, Johnny
http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm
Old 11-10-2011, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone encounter this problem before or seen this happen before? please post up.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have your rear sway bar installed?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Do you have your rear sway bar installed?

Yes I do have the rear sway bar installed but it is the stock rear sway bar mounted/installed on my moser 12 bolt rear end. Do I need to buy another? I never had problems before until now.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We use preloading of a heavy bar to help cars launch straight, similar to what a RR airbag does. Ryan was wondering if there was a sway bar at all - or if there was one, was it hooked up. A stock bar helps keep the car from "rocking" so not having any at all is worse than at least having a stock bar. Drag bar > stock bar > no bar.

Does it pull if you accelerate on the highway or just drag racing? Are your Lakewood bars anything trick or just stock replacements?

ramey
Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
We use preloading of a heavy bar to help cars launch straight, similar to what a RR airbag does. Ryan was wondering if there was a sway bar at all - or if there was one, was it hooked up. A stock bar helps keep the car from "rocking" so not having any at all is worse than at least having a stock bar. Drag bar > stock bar > no bar.

Does it pull if you accelerate on the highway or just drag racing? Are your Lakewood bars anything trick or just stock replacements?

ramey
IT does pull to the left on the highway when I accelerate! my lakewood rear lower control arms are like stock replacement there boxed and have poly bushings in them. Do you think I have bad rear lower control arms that might be flexing on me when I accelerate?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey IV. Even though we prefer our trailing arms of course, your Lakewoods with poly bushings should not cause that problem to happen.

Can you measure from the rear axle to a point on the front suspension to see if the rear is skewed? In the oval track industry we offset the differential like that to get the car to pull left on purpose. Kind of like rear steer.

Also, do you know your pinion angle? Nose down in front?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Restricted User

Tire Pressue.....

Quick Reply: 98 camaro pulls to the left on hard acceleration+