Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans Am Side Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Trans Am Side Emblems

Well, i got a good deal on painting my side grills, and Trans Am Emblems if I want to take advantage. $10... Going to get them Painted silver..
I know how to take out the grills, but how are the letters for TRANS AM held on? How do I take them off?
Thanks guys!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man dude...they're held out by some pretty tough stuff and the only prob is that the Trans Am badges are in all different pieces and may never go back on the same. It uses a body shop type adhesive that comes off with heat, adhesive remover, and a lot of swearing. Your best bet would be to spend just a little more and get the silver badges from the factory. They come with a top layer of plastic that holds all the letters in the right spot so that you can't go wrong in lining them up. Just some free advice, but good luck with the project.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Silver badges from the factory??? I didnt know I could do that...
What is the part # for them, and how much do they cost?
Old 03-11-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't recall the part number but most dealers have them in stock. I believe they're 15 bucks a piece. I got a pair for my fuel rail covers
It's worth the extra money to not have to sit there and try to space and adjust every letter.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, that Engine bay is nice!!!!!!
Sell me yours...LOL

OK, i guess ill just go ask the dealership... is it a Metallic silver?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:18 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh, I didn't know the dealership had those parts listed. I can get parts at cost.

I was going to go with the billet badges from MBA products, they are expensive, but . They have them listed under new products I believe on their site: www.mbaproducts.com if you want to check them out. They are a sponsor.

I will be using a hair dryer, spoon, and a shop towel. Best way to get the job done IMO.

Rob
Old 03-11-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

$136?? Oh man, you must be out of your mind...!! thats crazy... I'd rather pick up some silver ones.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

You can buy new badges in any color TAs come in. Red, black, silver, etc. Using a hair dryer makes them come off slightly easier, but it makes a gooy mess of the glue. I did dr #1 that way, but I just pried them off dr #2 with a plastic scraper. It turned out to be less work that way. Use a straight edge to line them up when you put the new ones on.

I also ordered some chrome decals for them, and then covered it all with clear coat before I installed them. See pics on my website....
Old 03-11-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
You can buy new badges in any color TAs come in. Red, black, silver, etc. Using a hair dryer makes them come off slightly easier, but it makes a gooy mess of the glue. I did dr #1 that way, but I just pried them off dr #2 with a plastic scraper. It turned out to be less work that way. Use a straight edge to line them up when you put the new ones on.

I also ordered some chrome decals for them, and then covered it all with clear coat before I installed them. See pics on my website....
THE PICTURE LOOKS GOOD, BUT HOW DID THEY TURN OUT ??
THATS A GOOD IDEA... I ALREADY HAVE THE CHROME OVERLAY ON MINE, WHAT KIND OF CLEAR COAT DO I USE?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

I just painted my side grills and hood grills silver today. I wanted to paint the door emblems also. Do the new emblems come with adhesive or do you have to buy it on the side. I was going to just repaint them and reapply them. Now I might just buy the new ones and use the old ones on my fuel rail covers. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

I just used some clear coat from the car parts store. DupliColor?

And yes, the new emblems come with the adheasive, stuck on a thick piece of paper so you can work with them.

As for how they turned out, the pic is not misleading. They look great! I was going to buy the polished ones from BMA. I am VERY glad I didn't now. The black background really makes them stand out.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, i went to the dealership yesterday, and they wouldnt give me the part #'s...
Both Black, and Silver were $18.83/side... I'll probably just order somemore black ones, and reapply some chrome overlays, then clear coat.... Chrome gets scrathed up too easily...
Old 03-12-2004, 11:42 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Try another dealership.......what are those part numbers? The secret codes for launching nukes?
Old 03-12-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Try another dealership.......what are those part numbers? The secret codes for launching nukes?
I guess so.. Hahaha
Screw it, im just going to Email gmpartsdirect.com
They are always cheaper than a dealership anyways.