Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

RHS new 225 heads any info?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RHS new 225 heads any info?

anyone heard any thing about these?
they don't have any flow numbers on the site or have specs like how thick the deck is...

still searching for heads for my turbo 347. and seen these. might look more into running a set and at the price i could afford to get a good port job on them if needed..

it does say "clean cast" as cast heads...

would they be any good for a turbo motor????
Old 11-05-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

.800 thick deck

Taken from RHS website---http://www.racingheadservice.com/information/technical/heads/gmgeniii-heads.asp

"As part of the Pro Elite™ series, new RHS® Gen III aluminum cylinder heads are fully CNC-machined for superb finished quality and maximum airflow. A massive 0.800” thick deck surface dramatically increases the structural integrity of the casting, making Pro Elite™ Gen III cylinder heads perfect for high cylinder pressure applications such as turbo or nitrous. Another benefit of the increased deck thickness is that it yields a combustion chamber that can safely be decked to 36cc for increased compression and power output. Steel inserts strengthen the rocker stud boss area, and casting integrity is further improved via the triangulated exhaust ports and hardened steel head bolt washers.

Raising the valve cover rail 0.500” allowed for the creation of the raised roof ports. Best of all, the RHS® design team has re-engineered the valve placement, rolling it over 4° from stock to create an 11° valve angle. The result is additional free drop spacing to accommodate high lift cams without piston interference and dramatically increased volume, velocity, and atomization in the intake ports. So if you’re looking for a set of GEN III cylinder heads that combines uncompromising quality with unparalleled performance, look no further than the Pro Elite™ series from RHS®, the only GEN III cylinder head on the market that delivers Power By Design™!"
Old 11-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The heads the op is describing is a "dart" casting head that has the rhs logo. The heads described above with the 11 degree angle is a etp head.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wouldnt worry about the decks...even stock 317 heads have plenty of deck for a boosted motor. RHS does have thick deck heads tho
Old 11-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
Wouldnt worry about the decks...even stock 317 heads have plenty of deck for a boosted motor. RHS does have thick deck heads tho
Bad advice deck thickness does matter and stock decks will flex and push water before aftermarket thick deck heads.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Professor_speed
Bad advice deck thickness does matter and stock decks will flex and push water before aftermarket thick deck heads.
I second that. bad advice. If you are going to do, do it right the first time. Stock casting heads are good for some but there is a point where they are not enough
Old 11-05-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
I second that. bad advice. If you are going to do, do it right the first time. Stock casting heads are good for some but there is a point where they are not enough
I hear ya on both of those but there are guys running 25+ psi on 317 truck heads, so at what point can you say that a stock deck is not enough?

Don't get me wrong, I am a proponent of an aftermarket head knowing the deck is thick enough for a boosted application but there are many guys running stupid boost on a factory casting 317 heads.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I hear ya on both of those but there are guys running 25+ psi on 317 truck heads, so at what point can you say that a stock deck is not enough?

Don't get me wrong, I am a proponent of an aftermarket head knowing the deck is thick enough for a boosted application but there are many guys running stupid boost on a factory casting 317 heads.
Exactly...plenty of people already doing it and not pushing water... if he only wants to get into the 9's at 140mph+ you dont really need much more than a stock deck, they are over .400" thick which is enough.

Super high boost, maybe thats an issue, but you wont be running much boost to get 9's in a fbody
Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Agreed stock decks will work to a point but you are giving up alot. ask them what there tune up looks like? low timing to keep the water in. If you can afford it get aftermarket castings. almost every combo has compromise somewhere, The OP didn't state his goal. so I was just stating that there is a difference and some power will be compromised.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I believe his goals are 9s or 140mph? Built 347 and a 3900lb car. Atleast mine was 3900lbs with a 4l60 and a tc turbo. He's using a 4l80 and a mid frame turbo, so ill guess maybe closer to 4000lbs.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just went by the sig notes...but yes if you can afford it, go for the aftermarket casting. Also better to be safe and over engineer it when possible. I just know of a few combinations making enough power to run 9's using stock GM heads and not having issues. Just not sure of the budget on the project.

I totally missed the goat part... it may be a 4000lb ride. Getting 9's is gonna be much more difficult but still doable. My buddy's 4500lb truck with twin 62mm stock bottom LS2 317 head setup went 130mph on his lower boost tune and it has made over 800whp on the mustang dyno and T56 thru 14 bolt, but never ran at the full power level. He's on E85 and only on 11psi boost too. Hasnt pushed water. That may get a 4K lb ride in the 9's at close to 140. Just gotta keep the timing down to control cylinder pressures. Eliminate some of the quench in the chambers to also control pressure rise on ignition
Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys. I'm set on an aftermarket casting do sure. So that has been put in the budget for sure. Looking at about 3000. I really didn't see the pro elite heads for ls stuff will have to look again

Kyle hit it on the head. 347 with midframe and 4l80. Hoping to keep it under 4k lbs.
I wont. Be happy if it don't go 9s but I will be looking to push it to see where she will go!

If any one hAs any info on these heads please help me out any you can
Old 11-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just look at dart heads and read up on them.. The rhs heads can be made nice but will cost some money to get them right. Id just drop the cash on the tfs "as cast" heads for $1695ish from a vendor
Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed stock decks will work to a point but you are giving up alot. ask them what there tune up looks like? low timing to keep the water in. If you can afford it get aftermarket castings. almost every combo has compromise somewhere, The OP didn't state his goal. so I was just stating that there is a difference and some power will be compromised.

Very true on all accounts, but that is true for pump gas or race fuel. Maybe he can chime in and tell us if he is or not. E85 allows you to put the timing back in because of its cooling properties.

Since he has posted that he is going to be using an aftermarket head, it pretty much negates what we are discussing for him.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

I'll be running. Pump and meth. E85 hard to find where I'm goin to be. Sorry I havent posted much. I'm goin through some training preparing for Afghanistan. So I get here when I can.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am interested in the RHS 225's also. Looks like an affordable option. IIRC the deck height on a 317 head or just about any stock casting ls head aside from the lsa's and ls9's is .400-.500" while aftermarket heads start at .800" like the RHS.

Quick Reply: RHS new 225 heads any info?