Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 nitous kit questions

Old 11-05-2011, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 nitous kit questions

Not an ls1 but I have been thinking about putting together a cheap as possible kit for my truck. Yeah, I already know, cheap and safe don't really go together but I'm on a very low budget atm.

The truck is a 2000 ecsb 2wd with 135k miles. The 4l60e is one of my main concerns given the truck weighs 5000+ pounds and I want to run a 100-125hp shot. The truck is completely stock but I plan on doing some of the simple "free mods" electric fans that came from my 01 Camaro SS. I was wondering how cheap I could do a setup like this and how reliable it would be. Some tips on the basics needed would be helpful if you feel like throwing some in but I can do the research myself if needed.

Basically I have a few friends that all have race cars and all of our cars are down right now and we are bored so we are going to play around with our daily drivers until we get our cars back going. We have three 5.3l 1500 series ecsb trucks and one 5.4l f150 ecsb so we are all on pretty level playing fields and want to play. All of us are machanics/technicians with two car trailers. 2 spare 5.3's and an ls1 sitting in the shop but none of us are well off finance wise atm. Just looking for some input. We plan on taking the trucks to the track tomorrow to get some stock baseline runs in before messing around with some cheap mods to see what we can do without spending much money.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I ended up being the only one to show up at the track. Bone stock with heavy *** 20 inch rims and my sound system still in the truck I managed to get it to 15.7@89 mph. I know others have done better but I made 10+ runs in the high 15's at 88-89 mph. For my first time ever down the drag strip I'm pretty happy with it. I got to the track a little late and didn't have much time but there weren't many people there so I just kept hot lapping the truck trying to get as many runs as possible. Decent for a stock 2000 5.3l extended cab or should have I been able to get more out of it? All the runs were damn consistant. I just couldn't seem to get it any better than that. The truck forums seem to have trucks doing better but I figured they were nodded considering magizines say it should run 17.1 stock but I now question their numbers considering what it ran even with the aftermarket 20" rims and being completely stock. Any input?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I bought my kit for $250 I think uses and paid another $100 for my window switch. One of my noids didn't work right so the seller made it right and split the cost of new noids with me($90 tottal for a set of harris speed works noids). I need to add a heater and when i do thatI will have around $500 in my system that can easily and safely spray 150-200.

If I were you I would get it tuned(don't see that it is already) and slap a 100 shot on it. Any nitrous kit for an LS with a nozzle will work. If you buy used just make sure you test the noids. Those two mods should easily drop a full second off your time.

A converter is always a great option and if you can find a good used one(3200-3600 stall) you should see another .3 or better drop. Plus you can spray out of the hole safely thus dropping your time event more.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I would love to add a stall but will probably wait until I have to drop the trans when it comes apart. I don't have much faith in the 4l60e being run hard in a heavy truck. The rear main seal might be leaking though so it might end up getting one sooner. I looked under the truck the other day and saw the oil pan was a bit damp looking. It was dry as could be the last time I checked it for leaks which was a couple months ago. I have efi live and a wideband o2 sensor setup for my car but I'm not sure if I have another license or if I could find it if I did but I could tune it myself if I ever get the money for a license and a wideband o2 for the truck.

Search this Thread