Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter location

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shifter location

What's the best way to determine the location and size/shape of hole to cut in the tunnel for a shifter in my swap (4L60E w/GTO or DTS shifter into 1955 Olds 88)?

Motor and trans bolted in place right now.

Are there dimensions someplace I can reference, or should I just wait until I need to pull everything back out again and measure it up then?

Thanks!

Joe
Old 11-05-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the engine/trans is in place. Just go under and mark or drill some pilot holes into the floor board. Then go up top and start cutting the hole to size for the rest of the shifter to fit in. (Use a Cutting wheel as it will make good straight cuts). Then make sure the hole is large enough for the shifter to go through it shifting travel pattern without contacting anything. If not trim as needed.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the whole drivetrain at once, without the trans crossmember.
Before installing this, I placed painter's tape over the shifter hole to keep crud out.
The trans was supported with a jack from underneath, and I left enough clearance between the top of the trans and the bottom of the tunnel which would allow drilling a couple of holes from inside the car. From underneath, it was easy to approximate the area where the shifter hole would be. Once inside the car, it was a simple matter to drill a couple of small pilot holes, then plant a flashlight over the holes and observe the shifter area of the trans from underneath. Instead of the flashlight, you could stick a small screwdriver through the holes. If you don't want to drill, you can also use a punch to dimple the tunnel from inside the car. After confirming that I was in the correct spot, I raised the trans to reconfirm the alignment.
From there, I lowered the trans a bit for safety, then used a diegrinder to cut a small area somewhat in the center of the shifter hole area.
The trans was again raised, and from the inside of the car, painter's tape was used on the top of the tunnel to mark the (somewhat) exact square of the shifter hole. The diegrinder was again used to cut the square.
From here, adjustments can be made with the diegrinder. Err on the side of keeping the hole small in the beginning.
Keep in mind that there will be some movement of the drivetrain/trans as you apply power, so that the hole will accommodate this movement.
Sounds like an ordeal, but was very easy.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Are there features on the trans that clue you in to where the shifter is mounted? I've never had the shifter installed.

I have no idea where on the trans it's supposed to sit.

Maybe I'll just have to wait until I need to pull the motor back out. Working on the steering now.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you don't have the shifter yet correct? The gto shifter requires a large hole to be cut out and uses a solid shifter rod and the DTS shifter bolts to the floor and only requires a small hole drilled for the cable. Don't do any thing until you have the shifter you're going to use.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Smo!

I have the GTO shifter, but really like how clean the DTS looks and am looking for one.

I think I'll take your advice and wait until I find the DTS unit.

Do I have to do anything else special to make the DTS shifter work with this transmission?

Joe

Quick Reply: Shifter location