Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SC guys take a looksy

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC guys take a looksy

This is in my truck with a 4.8 V1 running @ 5 psi.
I haven't had it long and I am just now getting around to fixing the issues.
Cats were deleted as well as rear O2's and it hasn't been tuned out yet so I still get the SES lights for those. Banks 1 and 2 rich and catalysts not performing.

The TO bearing is also making some noise that completely goes away when clutch is engaged or I am in gear.

The PO had it tuned, but at the moment I have no way to check the parameters, just the sensor data.

Now sometimes it runs like a raped ape, starts strong, pulls strong all the way through the gears and hits the redline. Really gets the smile going on your face and the back planted to the seat.

Other times it will start going fine from first, but by the time you get to the top of second gear it feels like a clogged cat would. It wont accelerate, only slowly and it wont go past 4200 rpmish. Get out of it switch gears and it rides like nothings wrong, no miss, overheating etc.

I can smell burnt rubber........lol yeah some from the tires.......but it makes me wonder if the belt is slipping? It is tight.

Whatcha thinking?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the rear cats have not been tuned out the PCM may think somethings wrong and pull timing.....just a guess.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
If the rear cats have not been tuned out the PCM may think somethings wrong and pull timing.....just a guess.
One of the thoughts I had as well. I was also thinking that the knock sensor was hearing the TO bearing and doing the same.....

I was also contemplating whether or not the clutch was slipping or not... the MPH rises faster that the RPM when it is doing this at WOT. Seems to hit a wall @ 4200 or so. Now sometimes it wont do this at all and it flat out performs......

I just dont have much experience with forced induction and was trying to see if it was something I may have been overlooking.