Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tq arm/ rearend problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tq arm/ rearend problem

I have a moser 12 bolt and my bolts to my tq loosen after 1k miles or so causing vibration when i come off the clutch. I have tried everything lock washers lock tight everything. Now on of the bolts have be come stripped out.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This may sound stupid but are the bolts long enough? Are they the correct bolts? If lock tight and lock washers don't work I would try lock nuts.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Teching In

I had this problem before and it broke my tq arm and i went to the hard ware store to grab more bolts but i think they were the same length. Im almost positive. UMI stood behind there product after a few mins of arguing they sent me a new one. And they said that's the problem with the 12bolts are the bolts on the tq arm back out. I'm stick of it now i to the point of welding the tq to the housing.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Was the mount drilled for the moser 12 bolt? If not you will have this problem with any tq arm.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

o yeah it can from umi.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

The problem is the Moser bolts are a smaller diameter than the holes in the TA mounting plates. Moser decided to use four smaller diameter bolts instead of two through bolts like the stock setup and this causes the TA bracket to move around and screw **** up.

One solution is to make sleeves from round stock to take up the slack in the TA bracket holes. There was a guy on here SN Tillery who had pictures but it looks like his album has been deleted.

Some others have just safety wired the bolts or tack welded them to the bracket after they are tight.

Personally I made spacers and plan on tack welding the bolts as well. Good luck,

Larry

Edit: I see tillery already posted, lol.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

My albums dont show? Will look into that. Ive been running a moser 12 bolt for years with no problems with different tq arms.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry is correct in his above post.

Moser rear end supplies you with 1/2" holes while the torque arm manufactures like ourselves use 5/8" holes. So first problem is there is too much movement in the bracket that mounts to the rear end. Second the bolts are not deep enough.

The best thing to do is locate some socket head cap screws that are predrilled with safety wire holes, get them at 1-1/2" long thread and a 1/2-13 thread. Locate safety wire and safety wire tool and this will prevent them from backing out. If you have welding ability you can tack weld the bolts to the torque arm bracket.

This is why manufactures don't warranty torque arms with this rear end, it is a common problem.

I hope that helps,
Ryan

Quick Reply: Tq arm/ rearend problem