Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pre soak new lifter in oil before install?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default pre soak new lifter in oil before install?

Ok i have read alot of conflicting info on pre soaking new lifters in oil before install... I have read in a few LS books not to pre soak new lifters in oil before install. I have read several threads on here that say to pre soak new lifters in oil before install... can a few knowledgeable hands on guys help clear this up for me. Not to be rude but im not interested in opinions from those that have not actually done the install themselves... I am looking for facts with results to back up the facts,, thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-lifters.html
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The fact is some companies flat out tell you its not necessary to do with the roller lifters however it cant hurt. I've put 2 sets of lifters in my ls engines and done many other engines and what I usually do is just get a pushrod and press in the plunger of the lifter while it submersed in oil, once the air bubbles stop coming out of the lifter consider it done and move one.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (07-13-2021)
Old 11-05-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's up to you. If you don't pre-soak, it will take longer to get proper valve lift & oiling to the rocker.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

y NOT do it?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Well, on that note...

I reassembled my engine a good 6 months ago, and just today got it reinstalled in my car. I didn't soak the lifters then, because I knew it'd be a loooong time before it was running again. I'm probably still a month or two from turning the ignition, and just assumed it would take a short time for the oil to work up to the rockers. I didn't see much of a point in soaking anything in oil being that it'd all drain back out over the months it sat.

So, there has to be plenty of people out there that took months from the time of building the engine to firing it up - what'd you do?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by evo462
there has to be plenty of people out there that took months from the time of building the engine to firing it up
im one of those guys as well
Old 11-05-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow that was a stressful read, lots of bickering and arguing over this. I am going to give them a light soak (just to oil up the inside parts a bit and oil up the outer body then install them). im not going to push the plunger in while they are soaking, comp cams, thunder racing and several other LS motor build books say do not pump them up while submerged in oil,,, they all seem to recommend at the very least pouring oil all over them then installing. Thanks for the help all that replied. I do not want this thread turning into a thread similar to the one posted above...
Decision made, installing them now... Thread over. thanks all who replied.
The following users liked this post:
Leon1984 (03-16-2024)
Old 11-05-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Soak them for an hour and be done with it. I soaked mine overnight before installing them and no problems here.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no soak, no problems from this guy. About 3k on the setup now quiet as can be.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

no soak here! just put some assembly lube on the tips of them... as well as the bottom of pushrod...DONE.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Always been told to and always have pre soaked lifters new and old for about 24 hours before hand, main reason to get air bubbles out an to help pump them up quicker, only motors I haven't have been over head cam engines were haven't had to strip the head down and had no problems on start up, more personal preference on which way you want to do it.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can tell You this much , the previous poster that said to use something to push the plunger in n out to basically pre-pump up the lifters is right on ,,,,,,,,,,,I have done this with great success ,,,,,,also any oil that's under the plunger will stay in there indefinately until someone takes apart the lifter .
Just FTI ,,,,,just soaking the lifters does'nt get basically any oil into and under the plunger ,,,,,,,drop 1 in oil n watch it 4 a while n tell me if You see any bubbles pop out on their own ,,,,,,,,the hole is too small ,,,,,so pushing plunger multiple times is the only n best way as far as I'm concerned .
Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

I have done many cam and lifter replacements on ls engines, and i dont presoak. i use gm engine assembly lube and pour it on the body of lifters before install.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I always soaked lifters. But you SHOULD prime a NEW/REBUILT engine. I know PACE PErformance says GM recommends disabling the fuel and spark and spin it over. You are just asking for damage IMHO. Spend the time and go to Home Depot, get some large PVC piping and cap both ends (leave a oil fill hole and small nipple) and presureize your engine.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I soaked mine prior installing.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Default Is lifters

Originally Posted by redbird555
The fact is some companies flat out tell you its not necessary to do with the roller lifters however it cant hurt. I've put 2 sets of lifters in my ls engines and done many other engines and what I usually do is just get a pushrod and press in the plunger of the lifter while it submersed in oil, once the air bubbles stop coming out of the lifter consider it done and move one.
You can't prime a LS lifter by just pushing the plunger in. If so that lifter is junk. The plunger can't be push by just your hand unless you are a machine unless you are running a hydrologic flat tapped lifter. I haven't heard of a flat tapped cam in a LS engine before. If it is possible I believe you are wasting your time.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I soaked my lifters in oil I had warmed up in an old pot on the stove (not hot mind you). I did not pump them or try to fill them with oil. After fully assembling the motor I used a garden sprayer hooked up to the oil galley to fully prime the motor while turning it over by hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pre soak new lifter in oil before install?