Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newb lq4 swap into x body

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb lq4 swap into x body

Ive decided to attempt an ls swap into my 74 Pontiac Ventura (nova). Currently it has a 455 that has since become non-practical to drive. It takes second place when I am able to hop in my '03 z06, fire it up and go.

Ive been searching through this site and others trying to find info on doing this, but with the massive amounts of information and opinions I thought it would be best to ask the questions I have. So far I have decided to go with the lq4 for the ease of sourcing and cost. I found a distributor who sells the short block for $350 and long block for $550. I was planning to do this but, the swap will require the wiring to go with it, so it will probably be more efficient to get one from a junk yard with the harness. The only accessory I am concerned with is the alternator.

My plan is to have a DD that still gets decent gas mileage. 400 at the flywheel would be nice and from what I have seen should not be too hard with these motors. I do not want to get too exotic with the swap yet, just get the motor in there and start learning the ls.

My questions so far are:

1. When I go to the junk yard, what donor vehicles am I asking about to get the lq4? I know they came in trucks, but what years and models?

2. What parts of the harness will I need? Ive heard rumors that I only need 5 sensors for the PCM, but I dont know how accurate that is.

3. What parts will I need for the swap? Alternate intake, starter, oil pan??

4. Fuel system considerations? What options do I have to make the 58 psi?

I do wiring frequently as an aircraft tech, so doing the necessary pinning will not be a problem, nor running new wiring.

Thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply: newb lq4 swap into x body