Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

NV4500 Shifter Tower

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NV4500 Shifter Tower

The GM NV4500 shifter stub (in the shift tower) angles toward the driver at a fairly significant amount. in my antique narrow cab it puts the shift lever too far over to the left - hitting my leg in first and second gear. Is there a way to modify the shift tower to make the stub come out "straight" - or an aftermarket kit that will accomplish the same?

On a related thought, can the Dodge shift tower exchange, and is the shifter stub "straight"
Old 11-06-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a similar tall shifter used on the RAM10/ T56. I think it may have less of a slant to the driver.You will have to match the bolt pattern and the length the stem reaches into the trans. If the pattern matches you can add a spacer to compensate the stem reach( if it is too long).
If you can take the shifter appart, remove the lever and heat it where the bend is and carefully "unbend" it.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

The Dodge and GM NV4500 used the same top in the later years so yes a Dodge should work. I don't remember how the Dodge shifter base is setup but it will fit.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Teching In

SUCCESS - I was able to heat-and-twist the NV4500 shifter stub to make it come out "straight". Here's a few how-to thoughts:

1. Remove stub from shift tower by removing the torx screws

2. **IMPORTANT** - Before heating, remove the insert tip at the base of the stub. You will need to drive out the roll pin to remove the tip, and then give it a good pull with a pair of pliers (unless you have kung fu grip). The tip is shock-mounted with two stout O-rings that the engineers devised as a clever way to soften the shift and reduce vibration. You don't want to scorch these O-rings when you heat the stub.

3. I braced the stub on a welding table with some scrap metal and a giant C-clamp to hold it securely, with the upper end of the stub hanging over the edge of the table.

4. I heated the stub using an acetylene torch just below the bend until it glowed dark orange, then used a pipe wrench to give it a twist.

Quick Reply: NV4500 Shifter Tower