Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd Gear Won't Engage

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gear Won't Engage

I've had this transmission in my nova for a few years now. I have never had the ability to use 2nd gear. When 2nd gear is selected nothing happens, you hear a slight whirring sound, it completely selects though. It seems almost as if the 2nd gear has all of its teeth sheared off. Im pretty sure the tranny is pre 2000. I'm getting ready to tear it down and I assume a full rebuild is necessary. All the other gears work flawlessly. Is a full rebuild needed? Could the 2nd gear's teeth really have sheared off or is it another issue?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by livewire0201
I've had this transmission in my nova for a few years now. I have never had the ability to use 2nd gear. When 2nd gear is selected nothing happens, you hear a slight whirring sound, it completely selects though. It seems almost as if the 2nd gear has all of its teeth sheared off. Im pretty sure the tranny is pre 2000. I'm getting ready to tear it down and I assume a full rebuild is necessary. All the other gears work flawlessly. Is a full rebuild needed? Could the 2nd gear's teeth really have sheared off or is it another issue?
Sounds like all the small little engagement teeth for the syncros sheered off the 2nd gear. This will require a complete tear down of the trans. Might as well upgrade some things while it's tore down....

Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on upgrading to the stage 2 kit from Tick Performance but do I really need to replace everything? I know its good insurance if I do. Should I also upgrade to the Viper 2nd gear and new bearings? I plan on doing the rebuild myself so I can always purchase parts if they are needed. Opinions on the stage 2 kit from Tick?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

2nd gear got a redesign on the teeth somewhere around 2000 or so. (someone correct me on the year if needed.)

The new Viper/F-body 2nd gear + the 1/2 synchro are likely to be needed.

Regardless, you're going to have to tear it down and inspect it to see what parts are needed.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gear Won't Engage