Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front wheels not parallel after K member install

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front wheels not parallel after K member install

Sanity check here.

I just installed my engine/transmission and BMR turbo K member in my 2002 Camaro. I haven't hooked the steering linkage back up yet, but I wanted to get all four wheels back on the ground. I noticed my front two tires aren't parallel with each other when I put the car back down.

I installed SLP Bilsteins and Strano springs on the K member as well ontop of factory A arm. The only thing I can think of is that the A arms aren't as "centered" as I thought they were, since I pretty much had to eyeball what I thought looked right. The steering rack connected to each A arm fine, but I can't come up with any other reason that'd happen unless my A arms are off.

Also, the wheels aren't perfectly perpendicular with the ground either - the top of the tire looks like it protrudes further out than the bottom. I assume this is because I lowered the car and the front suspension needs to be aligned/adjusted?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The car needs aligned for sure. Anytime you unhook the suspension items that you did an alignment is a must. The alignment shop will take care of this issue easily.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

I expected that it would need minor adjustment....but its off enough I would be hesitant to drive it.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by evo462
I expected that it would need minor adjustment....but its off enough I would be hesitant to drive it.
You are probably correct. Doing that type of install removes all items associated with your past alignment. You will need to use the K-member slots to locate the A-arms as best as possible so it is moveable to the alignment shop. You will need to adjust the tie rods as well to get the toe as close as possible.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You can give the car an "eyeball alignment" to get it closer before you hit the roads, if you feel that unsafe. But, yes, you will need to have the car aligned for sure, as Ryan said. Anytime you disconnect anything with the front suspension, you'll want to get it realigned. Do you always have to? No, but it's always a good idea to get it checked.

There are some videos online that can help you get it aligned.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed. Any time you even separate the K-member from the body, the car should go through a realignment. Just the act of pulling the K-member and re-installing the K-member (and not even touching the A-arms) throws off the alignment. I have an alignment done after every time I pull the K-member.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

I had every intention of doing an alignment...but if I straighten the passenger side wheel the driver's goes off like 10+ degrees from center. The alignment shop is only 5 miles away from my house so I'll probably just have it towed there and back.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you saying your front wheels are not parallel camber-wise or toe-wise...?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Resident

Toe out, maybe a very slight positive camber on each side too. Can't really tell until everything is straightened up.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried adjusting toe on the tierod ends...?!?

Quick Reply: Front wheels not parallel after K member install