Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing shocks, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing shocks, few questions

Just ordered a set of HD bilstein shocks, will be arriving on Wednesday. Have some questions on them.

1. Are the fronts shocks or struts? My friend who is helping me install them along with the salesman from WS6project both tell me they are struts, but I thought we had shocks in the rear and front.

2. Will I need any special tools to install this? My friend who is helping me told me to go to "O'Reilly Autoparts" and rent out a McPherson spring compressor, but that's the only special tool I will require.

3. Any extra things I should know going into the installation?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. They are shocks. In a strut system the "strut" acts as a control arm. Just having a coil over a shock does not mean it is a strut.

2. You need a spring compressor. It is much easier to take the assembly to a local shop and have them swap out the shocks on a wall mounted compressor. It also may be a pain to get the nut off the stock shock if you don't have an impact.

3. Getting someone else to do the compressing instead of using the hand tool spring compressor is probably the best tip for doing these.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ls1howto.com. There is a write up on there. Very helpful
Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
1. They are shocks. In a strut system the "strut" acts as a control arm. Just having a coil over a shock does not mean it is a strut.

2. You need a spring compressor. It is much easier to take the assembly to a local shop and have them swap out the shocks on a wall mounted compressor. It also may be a pain to get the nut off the stock shock if you don't have an impact.

3. Getting someone else to do the compressing instead of using the hand tool spring compressor is probably the best tip for doing these.
So you recommend I have a shop do these? It's not easy for someone to do on their own? I do have access to a lift and all that.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by babbage1109
Ls1howto.com. There is a write up on there. Very helpful
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Local muffler shop/mechanic did mine. 40 bucks a side. That was installing the shocks on the car not just compressing the springs for me.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Local muffler shop/mechanic did mine. 40 bucks a side. That was installing the shocks on the car not just compressing the springs for me.
So $80 for all 4 of them? That's not bad actually. My friend wants to charge me $70 for him to do it...but it will be less hassle and done a whole lot faster if I took it to a shop, might have to do that.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You only need to take the front shock assemblies to the place that has the compressor. DO IT! Do not attempt to get the rusted *** nut off yourself it is a huge PITA. The rears just bolt to the rear end housing and trunk area, no spring over it.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can do the fronts by yourself, but it's much easier for a shop that has a spring compressor. I rented the ones form the auto parts store and took apart one side. I loaded them up and went down the street and they took the other side apart and put them both back together for $50. Best money spent in a while. Came back and they slid right in. The rears are very easy.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by djfury05
You only need to take the front shock assemblies to the place that has the compressor. DO IT! Do not attempt to get the rusted *** nut off yourself it is a huge PITA. The rears just bolt to the rear end housing and trunk area, no spring over it.
I have 70,000 miles and this is a southern kept car, very little rust, and has seen almost no snow or salt. Still think it's going to be that rusty? Is it just getting the nut off on the front that makes the front ones tougher?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

My car had 40k miles on it garage kept southern car too.. guess what.. rusty as ****.. do yourself a favor and take it to the shop I'm telling you.. and yes getting the nut off is the toughest part, the rest is a breeze.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

My car had 40k miles on it garage kept southern car too.. guess what.. rusty as ****.. do yourself a favor and take it to the shop I'm telling you.. and yes getting the nut off is the toughest part, the rest is a breeze.
How much do you think a shop would charge?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just take the assembly to a shop to have them swap the shocks it will just depend. It isn't really like a common thing, a lot of time it will be like working out a cash deal with the mechanic.

This is just for the front. I think the rears are too easy to pay anyone to do unless you just don't have tools or time.

Getting a shop to install the fronts for only $40 a side is ridiculously cheap. That's about what some people pay the shops to just switch the springs on the shock.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car has 65K on it and has been garage kept the entire time. There was a little rust but no where close to some of the pictures I have seen. I had no problems removing the upper bolt on the one I did. You won't know until you pull them off. Water gets trapped in there from washing also. So it's not just the weather, etc. I took mine to a shop that I have detailed for through the years. He didn't want to charge me anything. I ended up paying $50. I don't work for free and neither should he. I would call around and get some quotes.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Is it recommend to replace the "rubber bump stops" (the rubber stuff at the top of the stocks) I guess they are called when you do new suspension?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 AM
10 Second Club

The rubber bump stops you are talking of are called strut mounts. Unless yours have degraded over time and starting to feel like they are falling apart then no need to replace. If you do have to replace them be prepared to pay $65+ per side. I would however replace the dogbones that sit inside the strut mounts. They are cheap at about $8 a piece and mine had rust all over them from the nut so I replaced them.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

The rubber bump stops you are talking of are called strut mounts. Unless yours have degraded over time and starting to feel like they are falling apart then no need to replace. If you do have to replace them be prepared to pay $65+ per side. I would however replace the dogbones that sit inside the strut mounts. They are cheap at about $8 a piece and mine had rust all over them from the nut so I replaced them.
Can you buy new "dogbones" pretty easily at auto stores, like napa or autozone?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Yep just go up to the front counter and tell them you want new dogbones for whatever your car is.. I use Advance normally for items like this, seems like the smarter guys work there lol.

They may not be called dogbones at every store but when they are looking up the item I'm pretty sure they have cutaway diagrams on their screens and all the individual parts labeled for easy reference.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Cool thanks. I want to do so much to this car, but can't make enough money to keep up.lol
Old 11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

once your addicted it sucks how much money you will spend on it At least all my bills are paid and wife is happy though.. can't go through life with regrets

What are you next mods planned?

Quick Reply: Installing shocks, few questions