Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from 4L80E to Powerglide

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Going from 4L80E to Powerglide

I am about ready to pull the trigger on swapping out and selling my 4L80e and swapping in a comparably built powerglide for obvious go fast reasons. I currently have a BMR transmission crossmember and a 1350 steel driveshaft, TCI flexplate and FTI 3800 converter, Lokar dipstick(that I HATE btw), and fan cooled B&M transmission cooler with thermostat control, and a B&M quicksilver rachet shifter.

Now I know about the only things I'll be able to keep is the tranny cooler and the lines to and from it, and maybe the drive shaft although I would like to find a lighter one that is just as strong.

I want the PG for the 1.80 or 1.76 first gear as I'm going to be making some big changes to my car engine wise this winter and I'm looking to shed some weight off this tank. I know I'll need a new much higher stall converter and most likely a higher rear gear from my 3.55's I have now. I was thinking 3.89's maybe 3.73's and a Pro Torque Converter, FTI or UCC 4500-5000stall. What shifter are you PG f-body guys using, and what are you doing for crossmembers and dipsticks? Last thing is the flexplate I'll probably need a new one unless the TCI one will work which I'm unsure and likely aware of it not working with a PG.

Anyone who has made a similar swap from 4l80e, 60e, Th350 or 400 to a PG with a power adder what did you change the stall of your converter to, to account for the steeper first gear, or did you just throw a crap ton more power at it, or a little bit of both? Also what rear gear and tire size were you running before and after? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get all the stuff I need. I wouldn't even think about taking it out without somone wanting to buy it, but a buddy of mines buddy, that I know of has a bottle fed monster of a street/race car and has been wanting a 80e for a while now. It's almost new still with 20-25 passes on it.

Last edited by Fbodyjunkie06; 11-08-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

KeeP the 80 and have a fast car that is still nice to cruise in. I am thinking about swapping back to a 80 from the Th400.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Thats just it I find myself driving it less and less on the street and wanting to go faster on the track. I am also trying to shed 300lbs. this winter too.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to Jon. Deff. interested in the 80e. I can probably get a bunch of power glide stuff too. Maybe we can work something out I know a pretty good trans builder.lol After this race at draggin rights I'll pull my TH400 and stall and sell it.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
I talked to Jon. Deff. interested in the 80e. I can probably get a bunch of power glide stuff too. Maybe we can work something out I know a pretty good trans builder.lol After this race at draggin rights I'll pull my TH400 and stall and sell it.
Cool, he said he was going to see you or talk to you today and ask you about it. This transmission builder wouldn't happen to have 2 ls powered vehicles already would he? I've been hearing about the car from Jon for a while now. You going to be a Piedmont Sunday still? Maybe we can drag Jon out there with us so we can get a tuning session goin' on

It'd be nice to able to get someone to just fab the crossmember cheaply instead of buying one or having a shop do it.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to know more on this as well. Currently considering going from my Th400 to a PG. Also interested in what it will take to keep the speedo happy, etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
I'd like to know more on this as well. Currently considering going from my Th400 to a PG. Also interested in what it will take to keep the speedo happy, etc.
I kno my speedo taps into the abs sensor on the right front wheel. Did it that way so if the rear tires spin the speedo reads correct still and not the tire spinning mph.

I'd figure though if you already had a 400 you have a MVB and you don't have a VSS anymore? So how is your speedo getting it's speed signal now?

Does your 400 have the optional aftermarket 2.10 first gear?

I'm kinda contemplating a 400 with the 2.10 first gear too, but I'd like to just do this once. I've got so many people already asking me what I'd sell them the get up for. Didn't think there'd be this must interest my 80e.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

Just realized even if you had a mvb you would still have a vss. Still its not a stock transmission gm put in f-body our year models so you had to do something for the speedo to work correctly.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Launching!

Not stealing the thread or anything, but i have a powerglide i will be selling that came in my car just purchased. It is at Abruzzi racing trans right now getting checked out to see what is inside it. Has aftermarket case and fabbed pan, but not sure of internals yet. Will be letting it go for a real decent price since i already have two! Will post back when i get it back. Chuck
Old 11-09-2011, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

I priced out some glide parts last night we can talk and see which direction you want to go. I assume a aftermarket case and trans brake. I made my cross memeber and tuned out pretty nice. I could make you one. But Bobby could also and he is closer to you. Get my # from jon and give me a call. I won't be able to go this weekend I have a aircraft due out and I'll be working probably all weekend. That and I need some parts for my Nano
Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You also could put a 2.10 gearset in your 80E too.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ctjohns
Not stealing the thread or anything, but i have a powerglide i will be selling that came in my car just purchased. It is at Abruzzi racing trans right now getting checked out to see what is inside it. Has aftermarket case and fabbed pan, but not sure of internals yet. Will be letting it go for a real decent price since i already have two! Will post back when i get it back. Chuck
Nice deal for sure let me know what you end up pricing the unit at.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
I priced out some glide parts last night we can talk and see which direction you want to go. I assume a aftermarket case and trans brake. I made my cross memeber and tuned out pretty nice. I could make you one. But Bobby could also and he is closer to you. Get my # from jon and give me a call. I won't be able to go this weekend I have a aircraft due out and I'll be working probably all weekend. That and I need some parts for my Nano

Word, thanks for pricing the parts out, yes for sure an aftermarket case like a JW or Ultrabell, dedenbear etc. etc. Yea if Bobby could do it he is a lot closer than you. I think your at least 2 hours away from me, as Jon is 45 minutes and your what at least an hour from his place right? I'll call him today or send him a message on HPJ for your number.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:24 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the stock shifter and console with my PG. All I did was add a block for 1-2 shift positions, relettered the indicator and a 15 minute mod to the cable bracket at the trans. I also added a Dedenbear shift solenoid and MSD window switch inside the console to do the shifting. Everything looks factory and works perfect.

I'm running an ATI 9" @4800 stall and it's a little too loose....
Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67SS509
I'm using the stock shifter and console with my PG. All I did was add a block for 1-2 shift positions, relettered the indicator and a 15 minute mod to the cable bracket at the trans. I also added a Dedenbear shift solenoid and MSD window switch inside the console to do the shifting. Everything looks factory and works perfect.

I'm running an ATI 9" @4800 stall and it's a little too loose....
I have a M6 center console, so to do what you did I'd have to get a auto console and shifter. I was thinking about a B&M pro ratchet or TCI shifter, but the stock looking console would be cool.

How much was the shift solenoid and window switch?

Is it a power adder application? I know I probably won't be using a 9" converter as those are saved for N/A apps mostly, mine will probably be a 10" unit and I was thinking anywhere between 4200-4800 stall.

I'm still trying to decide what to do about the rear gears as the PG's first and high are the same as 2nd and high in my current tranny. I don't want to offset the the first gear too much though. Current gears are 3.55's.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Here is what I would like to have in my powerglide, not this exact one(wouldn't matter if it was I like it just the same) but I'm guessing this will work well in my application...hopefully knowing the people I do I can get one built comparably or exactly the same with the aftermarket case for the same price.http://www.atiracing.com/products/tr...t-proglide.htm
Old 11-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Launching!

Will do, hopefully I get it back within a week or two. Told him not in a hurry...that could have been a mistake.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am running a VSS on my car, using parts from a 4L80 if I remember right. Its been in the car for about 5 or 6 years now, and I don't remmeber the parts off the top of my head. I might just wait on the PG I have a line on until some other things come together, and run the th400 for now. What had to be done to tap into your ABS sensor?
Old 11-10-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 3.55's might be a little low. I plan on running 3.73s in mine.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
I am running a VSS on my car, using parts from a 4L80 if I remember right. Its been in the car for about 5 or 6 years now, and I don't remmeber the parts off the top of my head. I might just wait on the PG I have a line on until some other things come together, and run the th400 for now. What had to be done to tap into your ABS sensor?
Search for Sux2bu's thread on here about tapping into the front abs sensor or PM him about it. He was one of the first to do a write up on it and implement it in his car. I think he has a TH400. ABS sensor uses a reluctor wheel either 40x or 41x depending which trans it came with. You will lose your abs doing it this way, but if you have an aftermarket rear, chances are you don't have ABS anymore.

Here is his thread found it for youhttps://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/479729-free-way-get-speedo-work-th350-th400.html"]https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...350-th400.html[/URL]

Quick Reply: Going from 4L80E to Powerglide