Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil issue with turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil issue with turbo

i have a rear mount turbo setup and im having an oil issue seems like after every time i stop the engine and then start it back up im blowing oil out the exhaust and the intake side of turbo my pump is pumping while running the car im thinking oil thats left in the feed and return might be seeping in the turbo after every shut down and thats causing my problem plus when i check for oil flow on my pump while car is running its not a steady flow its spurts of oil can anybody give me a suggestion on a fix
Old 11-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Teching In

No one has ideas
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM
9 Second Club

welcome to LS1tech. but it would help us alot to have your sig filled out. more detail please

Thank you
Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a common problem with rear mount turbos is the oil pooling in the turbo, one easy way to fix that is to connect your oil scavenging pump to a turbo timer and let it run for a minute after shutoff. Also a check valve just before the turbo to keep the oil in the high pressure side from trying to equalize in the CHRA just from gravity.

I am about to build a rear mount in my swapped Tacoma and have been reading and researching like crazy, feel like an expert at this point, lol. I have built tons of front mount systems, but this will be my first rearmount setup, should be fun in a little 500hp Toyota Tacoma!

On the pump not being steady it sounds like your pump is outrunning what your turbo is expelling
Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Teching In

@speed freak

what kind of check valve?
and where can i get one ?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

STS sells them
Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Thats a common problem with rear mount turbos is the oil pooling in the turbo, one easy way to fix that is to connect your oil scavenging pump to a turbo timer and let it run for a minute after shutoff. Also a check valve just before the turbo to keep the oil in the high pressure side from trying to equalize in the CHRA just from gravity.
The check valve is a good idea. Letting the pump run with the motor off isn't necessarily a bad idea if you have a good pump. I believe the Exa-Pump can run dry indefinitely. But if it's the stock STS pump you'll burn that thing up pretty quick running it dry.
Also, you might want to look into an oil restrictor in the feed line. Do some searching in the FI forum and you'll find a few threads.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:53 AM
Teching In

thats some help thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Also going with a smaller restrictor due to having a bb turbo