New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference between average SBC 350 and an LS1 or LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between average SBC 350 and an LS1 or LT1

i was wondering if chevy ever made a over head cam system so me and my friend looked it up and it said that a corvette had 1 with an LT5 i believe it said. i was wondering if that was the difference.

If thats not the difference will someone please tell me.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I'm not quite sure what you're asking exactly, but the old Gen I SBC shares several items and designs with the LT1/4.

On the other hand, the LS1 shares nothing with the old SBC/LT1/4, other than an 8 cylinder, OHV arrangement. In every other way they are completely different engines.

LT5 is a whole separate topic.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm not quite sure what you're asking exactly, but the old Gen I SBC shares several items and designs with the LT1/4.

On the other hand, the LS1 shares nothing with the old SBC/LT1/4, other than an 8 cylinder, OHV arrangement. In every other way they are completely different engines.

LT5 is a whole separate topic.
Pretty much covered it all, the original SBC and the lt1 have similarities. I believe the lt1 has reverse flow cooling compared to the old SBC, I could be wrong though I'm not 100% sure on that.

The ls1 is a whole different animal, nothing and I mean nothing is the same compared to an old SBC. Block, heads, internals, everything else is not compatible in any way.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The LT5 is a whole different animal than the LT1 LT4 or LS series. I really dont know why they gave it the LT5 tagging to confuse people.

but yes it is a DOHC 4 valve per cyl V8 engine that was put in the ZR1 corvettes of the early 90s. This engine however shares NOTHING with any chevy engine mainly because it wasnt built by GM.

The engine was built by LOTUS specificly for the ZR1 corvetts.

They also rev to 8000 RPMS and boasted 375hp. making the early zr1s one of the fastest production cars of its time.3
but to answer some other questions the LT1 uses a distributless ignition where the SBC does not that is the main differnces there. however you cant swap SBC and LT1 heads if I am not mistaken.

The LS1 is completly different with different firing order, coil on ignition different head design along with a long list of other things.

Last edited by 82cetuner; 11-09-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
The LT5 is a whole different animal than the LT1 LT4 or LS series. I really dont know why they gave it the LT5 tagging to confuse people.

but yes it is a DOHC 4 valve per cyl V8 engine that was put in the ZR1 corvettes of the early 90s. This engine however shares NOTHING with any chevy engine mainly because it wasnt built by GM.

The engine was built by LOTUS specificly for the ZR1 corvetts.

They also rev to 8000 RPMS and boasted 475hp. making the early zr1s one of the fastest production cars of its time.

but to answer some other questions the LT1 uses a distributless ignition where the SBC does not that is the main differnces there. however you cant swap SBC and LT1 heads if I am not mistaken.

The LS1 is completly different with different firing order, coil on ignition different head design along with a long list of other things.
isn't the optispark a type of distributer? i've worked on them so i know it's different than a standard distributer but is an lt1 still considered distributor-less?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:14 PM

wow that just changed my opinion on LS and LT seires.

Explain "distrubutless" cause i have a distrubuter back home that i was told when it was given it to me that it was off my uncles 67 vette with an LT1. Im guessing you mean it has a coil pack of sorts...?

Another huge question i have is ive heard that a 91 gmc syclone was faster then 90's vettes. does that include the zr1 LT5?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the LT1 of 67 is not the same engine as the second gen LT1. the first gen LT1 was a rpo code for. the NEW LT1 was named so because of the performance made by the 70s lt1 it was considered the ultimate small block engine of its day.

If you are talking about the SBC LT1 rpo code engine then yes it does use a distributor and it is a gen one SBC it was made from 70-72 and is a 350 small block. alot of 350 small block engines were givin different engine codes for diff hp ratings.

example of this is the a ls2 lq9 l76 which are all the same cube size engine using mostly the same parts with suttle differences

fore refernce the LT1 of the 70s was considered the bad boy of engines back then

for referne a 67 vette didnt have a LT1 engine unless it was put in aftermarket.

Definetly does not include the Zr1 vettes as I stated thats a whole different animal they boasted almost double the HP of a L98 vette.

a cyclone was a fast truck for its day but it was not that fast

aslo distributless means that the engine does not use a standerd gear drivin distributor that connects to the crankshaft and rotates along with it.

modern LT1 engines used a opti spark techonogly that was essecitnally a single coil that controlled timing for all 8 sparkplugs. the new LS and most all other engines today use a coil pack system or coil on plug design where there is a coil for each cyl that is wired directly into the computer and timing is controlled from there. the newest coil on plug dosnt even use spark plug wires

Originally Posted by icedtepe
wow that just changed my opinion on LS and LT seires.

Explain "distrubutless" cause i have a distrubuter back home that i was told when it was given it to me that it was off my uncles 67 vette with an LT1. Im guessing you mean it has a coil pack of sorts...?

Another huge question i have is ive heard that a 91 gmc syclone was faster then 90's vettes. does that include the zr1 LT5?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude you could have googled all of this.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by usafws6
Dude you could have googled all of this.
Seems like this question (Gen I/II SBC vs Gen III/IV) is coming up a lot lately. I think it's due to more and more people looking into LSx conversions and wanting to understand how they are different from the old SBC stuff.

Quick Reply: difference between average SBC 350 and an LS1 or LT1