Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed for 350z ls1 project

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for 350z ls1 project

I am in the process of looking at swaps for my 350z ls1 project. I'm debating if i should start off with a short block and build up from there gathering everything i need or if it would be easier to just buy a complete swap (engine + tranny) and mod it from there? I will be changing mounts, heads, cam, intake, throttle body, oil pan, headers, timing chain, and so forth for the project anyway. I'm worried a complete swap will be a waste of money, but then i'm worried that starting off with just a short block is gonna be a lot of work to gather every bit and piece i need to have a complete running engine and transmission ready to drop in. Could anyone give me some suggestions or what not on what they think would be better?

Another question, does ARP provide a bolt kit for nearly everything on an ls1? Its buying all the accessories, nuts, bolts and misc. things associated with the engine that scares me of starting out with just a short block.

Thanks Guys
Old 11-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Teching In

just buy a shortblock 402 from TSP then work your way from there.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Teching In

you would need an alt, starter, trans, pcm and harness from a 99-02 camaro

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-148-ts...ort-block.aspx
Old 11-09-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on what your goal is.. if it is very unique with many mod and parts.. then buying parts will be the best route. That way you get what you want, but more of a PITA and can be more costly..

If it is pretty normal of a swap. And using much of the OEM parts, getting a complete drop out with accessories, wiring, pcm, etc. would give a leg up on parts and cost if you can use most of the parts that came with the drop out.

The parts are out there. But can be costly to buy peice by peice.. You have to look at your budget and weight the time spend chasing down parts and mix/matching them.

BC
Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Teching In

yeah i think i should just start off with a complete swap. i'm gonna get lazy about finding all the parts separate
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

sounds intriguing keep us posted.