General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Camaro
36.84%
Firebird
63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Camaro or Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro or Firebird

A thread I'm starting in order to examine the differences between the Firebird and Camaro. I know on paper they are the exact same car, same engine, same transmissions, etc etc.

But there are a few minor differences between them. A few I know from the top of my head are the speakers in the front door panels are a bit different, seats are different, price was definitely different. Some people say the Trans Am has a REAL Ram air and the Camaro SS didn't work all that well,

Just want everyone's opinion on which they preferred between the Camaro and Firebird, and why. And also, what are some key differences between the two?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Launching!

I'd say more Trans Am instead of Firebird but imho nothing looks meaner than a WS6 coming past you or up in the rearview mirror. Very simple mods make them look ridiculous, mainly just a set of 11" wide rims on the back to beef it up. The Camaro just looks too plain to me. I don't like how the exhaust hangs under the rear bumper...prefer how the TA bumper is cut out for it. Love the honeycomb tail lights on teh TA and the flip up headlights...more sleek looking I think.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UGOTWS6D
I'd say more Trans Am instead of Firebird but imho nothing looks meaner than a WS6 coming past you or up in the rearview mirror. Very simple mods make them look ridiculous, mainly just a set of 11" wide rims on the back to beef it up. The Camaro just looks too plain to me. I don't like how the exhaust hangs under the rear bumper...prefer how the TA bumper is cut out for it. Love the honeycomb tail lights on teh TA and the flip up headlights...more sleek looking I think.
I agree with you, for the most part. The T/A does look better in my opinion, but the Camaro does come with a body kit for the exhaust tips.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all body stuff and maybe a few suspension differences. Powertrain is the same. Ram air doesn't do much on either car so that point is moot. Firebirds are prettier but I like the rawness of the Camaro.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Like them both, i own a Camaro but i have never been in or driven a trans am so cant say which one i like the most.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Everything people say they hate about the 98-02 Camaro, I loved. The Camaro SS was just the best looking car I'd ever seen. I didn't have the $$$ to buy one at the time. Now, my wife lets me have one "toy" car, and it's really all we have room for. I could afford to make that car pretty much anything in the way of new cars, but I still have my 2000 Camaro SS, and still love it. The headlights, the "catfish" grill, the tail lights, the spoiler and the useless hood scoop all just work for me. I'll keep fixing what breaks on this car and upgrading it when I have time, until I can no longer get parts or I find something I like better. Hasn't happened yet.

I do also really like the Trans Ams, but I hate the flip up headlights.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Teching In

I have a 01 SS but I love how a ws6 looks wish I held out for one.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I personally like the T/As over the Camaros. For me, the overall styling of the Trans Am is what does it for me, plus my friends/family say my T/A suits my personality. What made me decide I wanted a T/A was back in '02, I went with my mom to the local GM dealership so she could pick up her new Tahoe (she buys a new Tahoe every 3-4yrs), and sitting on the showroom floor was a brand new, bright yellow '02 C.E. T/A, as well as a slightly used red '02 Anniversary Camaro SS (Camaro was traded in when the guy that bought it complained it was too uncomfortable to drive and wanted a Suburban instead). I drooled over the T/A as she was finishing paperwork, and swore to myself I'd own a T/A someday. Now I do!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Both are good (post-98 anyway, wasn't a huge fan of 93-97 birds), but I have always leaned toward the Camaro.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i prefer camaro's personally. not much for plain v6's or z28's but with an ss spoiler and hood. or a nice cowl hood they just look so mean and clean to me. trans am's just look too "out-there" i guess. i like formula's the best out of all the firebirds. can't go wrong with either but i just strongly prefer camaro's.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WS6, hands down....

The ram air on these cars is a gimmick... they don't do a damn thing unless you're doing 1000 mph. They're an open/unsealed system so it doesnt build pressure till your breaking the sound barrier...

IMO, the only real ram air was on the 96-97 WS6... its design was sealed, so if your **** wasnt worn out, it would build like 2psi @ 80mph... (unverified)..

The sound barrier at sea level is 761.xx MPH ...
Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

definetly a trans amWS-6 hands down. I fell in love when they came out with the new style in 98 but ive always been a trans am fan and f body fan owning several third gens, but always preffered the aggresive body style of the T/A however I do belive a third gen camaro looks better than the T/A of that era.

I think nothing looks meaner than a Ws-6 with a ceta mode on it with some fatties on the rear. I was into corvettes when i actually had enouph money to own a performance car and still am but now I require a back seat I originally purchased a extended cab truck but as I was driving one day I passed by a used car lot and saw a beutiful unmolested 02 ws-6 I traded I fell in love all over again like when i was a kid and traded the truck in that day for it.

the performance was actually close to my modified c3 other than handling and they both ran the same time in the quarter with the trans am being totally stock. I will now be MOLESTING my ws-6 to have some seriouse power and performance and know I will be in love all over again
Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

There is really no point to this debate. It's the same car other than cosmetic differences, it's honestly like asking whether you prefer red or black. Nothing is to be gained from this, other than the flame bait that these types of threads always are.

PS. Just to clarify, as this topic is strictly a matter of subjective preference and not specific to LSx cars, it would be better suited to the lounge.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-09-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Camaro or Firebird