Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning LS2 into 68 Camaro. Comments welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Planning LS2 into 68 Camaro. Comments welcome!

Hello Everyone. I wanted to run by my initial shopping list of parts by all of you for my impending 68 Camaro LS2 swap. Please comment on if you see any possible issues with the combination of parts that I plan on using. My expectation is that the below combination of parts will fit with no cutting or welding necessary. I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who has done the engine mount / oil pan combo I am planning on using. Any help here with my plan is greatly appreciated.

68 Camaro has AGR power steering box (standard type not rack)
Engine/trans 2006 LS2 / 4L60 from a GTO
Gas Tank - Rock Valley
Radiator - Griffin with dual Spal fans
Engine Mounts: BRP
Trans Cross Member: BRP
Headers: BRP Midlength
Oil Pan: Holley
AC: LS upper AC Mount from Classic Auto Air
Speedometer Interface: Cable X
Tach Interface: Dakota Digital Signal Converter
Harness Conversion: Speartech

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seem you have did your homework. with the Holley pan, just about all type of mount will work.

The BRP Kit (mounts, trans x-member and headers) is a good all in one kit, it was designed around the H3 / LH8 / Muscle Car or CTS-V oil pans. They do rasie the engine up a bit for the pans to clear. But is a good complete kit (but is on the costly side).

You could save some $$ by using any of the standard / 1" setback plates and have the engine mounted a bit lower for a better CG. but that depends on what your final goal is.

keep us posted..

BC
Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Teching In

BC,

Thanks for the quick response. The only reson I was going with the BRP kit is that it looks like it comes with not only the plates that mount to the motor but the stands as well which will leave out some of the guesswork as far as which stands (Tall or short) to use if I were to go with the typical plates. I was also told at some point that the Holley pan will work with the BRP kit and standard steering which also leaves out some of the guesswork as well. I am not that concerned about the better CG as this will just be a driver, no racing or anythign like that.

Thanks for your input,

Matt
Old 11-10-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a BRP trans mount if you want to save some $$$. I ended up using my stock mount. PM me if interested. I ended up going with the notched frame to keep the stock accessories which should save some $$ also with the A/C.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt.. ok. keep us posted with a build thread.. I'll be watching

BC
Old 11-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
I have a BRP trans mount if you want to save some $$$. I ended up using my stock mount. PM me if interested. I ended up going with the notched frame to keep the stock accessories which should save some $$ also with the A/C.
Thanks 69Ghost, I will keep that in mind. Was there a reason you did not use the BRP crossmember?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got my holly pan in today and is it nice.. i will be putting it on this week and get some pix up
Old 11-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

I'd stay away from an aftermarket gas tank unless it has the plastic baffle in it. From what I've read alot of people are complaining of the metal baffles in the after market tanks cracking and causing the tanks to leak over time
Old 11-12-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by RenoReno2
I'd stay away from an aftermarket gas tank unless it has the plastic baffle in it. From what I've read alot of people are complaining of the metal baffles in the after market tanks cracking and causing the tanks to leak over time
This is Spectra brand of LS1 swap fuel tanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wayne33
i got my holly pan in today and is it nice.. i will be putting it on this week and get some pix up
Thanks Wayne33, I look forward to seeing the pics.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
This is Spectra brand of LS1 swap fuel tanks.
Thanks Jimbo1367. I had heard about issue with the Spectra tanks but had not heard about any issues with the Rock Valley tanks. I was worried there for a second.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished a 67 camaro and the clearance to the brake booster was really tight.

To solve the issue I used a hydraboost system from a wrecked stepvan. Cost $75 at the scrapyard.

Works perfectly.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Docked Wage
I just finished a 67 camaro and the clearance to the brake booster was really tight.

To solve the issue I used a hydraboost system from a wrecked stepvan. Cost $75 at the scrapyard.

Works perfectly.
Thanks Docked Wage. Do you have any details for that hydroboost setup in case I run into the same issue? Info such as what year, make and model stepvan you pulled it out of would help a lot. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RenoReno2
Can you provide any references to the, "people are complaining of the metal baffles in the after market tanks cracking and causing the tanks to leak over time"? Thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mmaliszewski
Thanks Docked Wage. Do you have any details for that hydroboost setup in case I run into the same issue? Info such as what year, make and model stepvan you pulled it out of would help a lot. Thanks again.
The one I got it out of was a 2005. The $75 got me the pump and the boost unit. Had the hoses made at Napa. I dont remember what those cost.

I'm not sure if it might have been cheaper to buy a system directly from hydraboost.com. Check it out, it might be easier.

Good luck, Ken
Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

For the tank, we just welded a sump on the factory tank and used an Aeromotive 1000 pump and filter setup with braided lines all the way to the regulator on the rail and the return.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the BRP stuff had a lot of fitment issues?

Quick Reply: Planning LS2 into 68 Camaro. Comments welcome!