Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead torque converter????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dead torque converter????

My cousin, who owns MadTunes Racing, just picked up a Dynojet 248 and has spent the past week playing around with it. He's trying to get a feel of tuning on a dyno and finally put his stroker TA on today but ran into some problems. When he spools up and first goes WOT the converter flashes really fast to around 5200 and then at 5700 the graph dips 30hp and climbs back up. After a couple of pulls his transmission started puking boiling fluid out the overflow and he called me to bounce some ideas back and forth. He's more of an expert by far than me but I do a lot of reading on these forums and we came to the conclusion that he has probably killed his TQ converter. He also said it didn't launch as well his last time at the track and wasn't pulling the tires like it usually does. He thought at first it was suspension based but now he's thinking it's the converter.

His car is a TA with an iron block 404 stroker, TEA TFS 225 heads, YT UL roller rockers, custom EPS cam, TSP 1 7/8 headers, FAST 102/102, Performabuilt LVL2, TCI SSF converter (the weak link) and a Strange 12 bolt with 3.73s. The car is full weight TA running 10.79@125 with a 1.47 60' on motor so she's moving out for sure. I'm thinking he finally took the converter as far as it would go. Hopefully I can get him to shoot me the dyno graphs later and I'll post them up. Eventually he's going to start showing before and after graphs as he mods vehicles so we can get real world results on some of these mythical parts. Right now he's working on a Challenger RT and with just a CAI and boxed handheld tune it put down 334/360 and he's finishing up a heade install today and he's going to tune it properly and see where that puts it.