Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pump questions

ive heard bad things about ported pumps sucking the sump dry-is this just folklore?

ive read where the ls6 pump is the same as any pump made past 01 on all ls engines. is the melling choice any good,or should i stick to gm pumps?

can my stocker be rebuilt/ported reliably

What would you use on a 400 rwhp street car?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i believe people only have problems with the high volume high pressure pumps. a ported ls6 pump with the proper bias spring in it wouldn't cause you any problems... melling is an excellent choice as well,, they have a very good reputation. Melling makes 2 or 3 different models, a stock replacement pump (i.e. stock volume and stock pressure), a high volume normal pressure pump and a high volume high pressure pump
Old 11-11-2011, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The high volume pumps do run that risk, but honestly you'd have to be very high RPM for a very extended amount of time, and have NO drain back help in your engine to see if "suck the pan dry". The nice part of a ported GM pump as compared to the Melling is extra clearance and ease of install. In most cases with the Melling pump and a double roller,you'll have to do some clearancing on the pump and or front timing cover.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im running a single roller chain-so the melling would be a better choice than the ls6?

also would you run a high pressure/standard volume?