Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How efficient is a VJ in a boosted application?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How efficient is a VJ in a boosted application?

I am putting together a motor combo to go with TT's and I'm wondering if you guys think I might gain either efficiency or power by doing some light bowl blending and a good 3 angle valve job on a set of milled 317 heads?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would gain all over the board in both efficiency and power. I have been told most of the power in head porting is from a good valve job anyways, anything extra from blending the bowls would only add to the benifits of the VJ.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

That's exactly what would think, but did a search and don't see much about good valve jobs and gains. Most just rant and rave about CNC porting, etc.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know crazy power can be made on stock heads. I personally made 676rwhp with stock 241 heads on an old Procharged set up. That being said. I don't think something as minimal as just a valve job is going to net you a big gain on a FI set up. obviously there will be more power had from porting the heads as well.

If you are going to pay for a valve job and some bowl work you may as well just have them do some minor clean up the the runners. I think it would be worth it.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
I know crazy power can be made on stock heads. I personally made 676rwhp with stock 241 heads on an old Procharged set up. That being said. I don't think something as minimal as just a valve job is going to net you a big gain on a FI set up. obviously there will be more power had from porting the heads as well.

If you are going to pay for a valve job and some bowl work you may as well just have them do some minor clean up the the runners. I think it would be worth it.
I've read the opposite on a couple occasions, but like I said, there isn't a whole lot out there from what I could find. I made mid-700's on these stock heads, but I was hoping to do some low-cost things to make them flow better.

I've read that doing a really good 3-angle valve job in conjunction with porting, that the majority of the flow/power comes from the valve job itself. That's one of the reasons I've thrown this thread out there.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

opening up the ports never hurts, a fancy valve job on forced induction motor doesn't do alot though. once your in to boost it doesn't really care, it's going to push the air in no matter what the valve job is. does it make more, a little, but not enough that i'd spend real money on it.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nxfirebird
opening up the ports never hurts, a fancy valve job on forced induction motor doesn't do alot though. once your in to boost it doesn't really care, it's going to push the air in no matter what the valve job is. does it make more, a little, but not enough that i'd spend real money on it.
Makes sense.

It may be far better to spend the money on porting the LS2 intake. I know these things don't flow for ****.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have read some stuff about guys running a 50-55 degree valve seat on the exhaust side of a turbo setup. I'm not 100% sure on the theory but I believe the 50+ valve angle kills low lift flow (.200-.400) lift and helps cut back on the over scavenging the port during the overlap period. This supposedly can help reduce back pressure and increase spool on a turbo setup. No doubt there are nice gains to be had in the proper valvejob. With that being said I honestly don't feel too many people have any clue about what a proper valve job is. I can tell you it's not the standard 30-45-60 angles.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
I have read some stuff about guys running a 50-55 degree valve seat on the exhaust side of a turbo setup. I'm not 100% sure on the theory but I believe the 50+ valve angle kills low lift flow (.200-.400) lift and helps cut back on the over scavenging the port during the overlap period. This supposedly can help reduce back pressure and increase spool on a turbo setup. No doubt there are nice gains to be had in the proper valvejob. With that being said I honestly don't feel too many people have any clue about what a proper valve job is. I can tell you it's not the standard 30-45-60 angles.
So, is doing the standard 30-45-60 angles on valves what separates a standard valve job to a "competition" valve job?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

anything that promotes airflow in a cylinder head is good whether it be an n/a engine or fi. Anybody who thinks that good port work and good valve jobs on forced induction is a waste is sadly mistaken. Anytime you increase the efficiency of an engine , you increase power and wear and tear on the engine
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

VJ are very important. By the time you read about it on the internet, people have moved on to better things.....
Old 11-14-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
anything that promotes airflow in a cylinder head is good whether it be an n/a engine or fi. Anybody who thinks that good port work and good valve jobs on forced induction is a waste is sadly mistaken. Anytime you increase the efficiency of an engine , you increase power and wear and tear on the engine
Thank you, Shawn.

Now I'm sure you have your builder secrets, but could you advise us [me] on any angles I should stay away from? ie - Standard valve job vs. competition valve job?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
So, is doing the standard 30-45-60 angles on valves what separates a standard valve job to a "competition" valve job?
It seperates average small block chevy engine builder from the people who understand 15 degree ls stuff.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
Thank you, Shawn.

Now I'm sure you have your builder secrets, but could you advise us [me] on any angles I should stay away from? ie - Standard valve job vs. competition valve job?
alot of valve job depends on the heads and the valves. Generally speaking any good 3-5 angle valve job will pick up airflow. But a great valve job varies by the head. I know the trickflow heads likes a way different valve job than a mast head, and stock heads will act differently depending on the size of the valve and the type of valve. With that being said, I really don't know the best on a stock head as I really don't hardly use stock heads-but we have used a std 30-45-60 with good results.

sorry for rambling
Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

No worries, Shawn.
I appreciate your input.

Quick Reply: How efficient is a VJ in a boosted application?