Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is my stock muffler hurting me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much is my stock muffler hurting me?

Kook's LT and custom 3" catted Y are installed. The car feels good and I can tell an increase in power and a slight increase in sound (I could handle a little more of both though!). I know I'm sacrificing power with the stock muffler, but how much do you guys think? If anything, I would go with a Magnaflow muffler for its high flow and deep tone. I was thinking that I would drive it for a little bit, dyno it after I get it tuned a little better with the MAFT, then do the muffler, retune and redyno. Its probably wasting a little money on the dyno sessions, but the engineer in me likes to quantify things! So do you think the stock muffler is hurting me a lot? TIA,

Chris
Old 03-11-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Defintely get yourself a catback!!! A stock WS6 catback flows decent but, you're leaving some power on the table with one. Magnaflow is an excellent choice.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135980&highlight=cutout+stock+exh aust+dyno

This guy only gained 6RWHP with the cutout on a stock exhaust. That's pretty damn good, of course he doesn't have headers. Just get a cutout for it, then let the engineer in you dyno it opened and closed and see what you get.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The difference between running with an open cutout vs. a closed cutout on the stock cat-back is about 25rwhp & 20rwtq on my setup.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JimMueller
The difference between running with an open cutout vs. a closed cutout on the stock cat-back is about 25rwhp & 20rwtq on my setup.
yes, but you don't have the SS/WS6 exhaust, which is less restrictive than the Z28/firebird exhaust.