Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shocks , kyb- agx shocks ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks , kyb- agx shocks ?

anyone use these shocks ? pros and cons??
any good idea's on a good street shock that also works well at the track..
suggestions welcome!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

I assume you're talking about the adjustable shocks. I had them on my TA, which was basically a street car that saw some track time. They worked well with the stock springs.

Are they Koni's...no, but if you're on a budget, then have at it. Just find the right setup for your car.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have them and think they ride pretty nice with stock springs. can def fell difference when cranked up or soft. I'm thinking about going with strano springs to lower, anyone run this setup springs with these?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They are decent budget shock that won't break the bank. We have had quite a few customer use them with our BMR lowering springs and be very happy with the ride and performance. Bilstein and Tokico shocks are also other shocks that are right around the same budget that would probably work pretty well for what you are looking to do. If there is anything I can help you out with let me know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use them up front with H&R lowering springs. They're definitely better than the stock shocks, but they're not fantastic. I have Edelbrock shocks in the back and you can definitely tell the difference in quality between the two simply by riding around town. I have them on the highest setting and am disappointed I didn't see more performance out of them.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You'd be much, MUCH better off on Bilstein for long term durability for a decent price. If you want the best performance along with the build quality then you go with Koni.

AGX quality and Tokico quality is similar, but the nod goes to bit to Tokico. But both those aren't on the same plane as the others and warranty service from both sucks too.

I sell all 4 brands, so this isn't spin because I don't have one of them, it's how I feel. I could stroke your ego and say that AGX's are fine, but you have better options IMHO.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
I use them up front with H&R lowering springs. They're definitely better than the stock shocks, but they're not fantastic. I have Edelbrock shocks in the back and you can definitely tell the difference in quality between the two simply by riding around town. I have them on the highest setting and am disappointed I didn't see more performance out of them.
I'd say that's a pretty telling synopsis right there. And Edelbrock's aren't the best shocks either.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Sam would you say Bilsteins are better than the Edelbrocks?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, I would. To start with the Bilstein's are just shocks. Unless you want the spring and height adjustment that the Edelbrock fronts come with (of course even if you buy rears they don't come with rear springs to match anyway) you are paying for something you may not use at all, or is just too stiff for you.

Further, the Bilstein's have fewer little moving parts on the piston. The idea behind both is the same and in general the more simple way is usually best. Edelbrock uses this sliding ring and springs to manipulate the oil flow through the piston. Bilstein uses what they call deflective discs, which are calibrated washers that flex at certain forces... the spring and valve in one essentially. K.I.S.S. stuff

Further, Edelbrock has a 1 year warranty. Bilstein's have a lifetime warranty. It's a little gray with the whole SLP thing, but in the end now that they are the same shock right down to the part number, it turns out they usually honor the lifetime deal. But on these shocks I can't think of maybe 4 times it's needed to be invoked.

And then there is the valving. Not as different as I might like, which is why I still prefer Koni's personally as they are a bit more taut. But the Bilstein's in general have better low piston speed control (that's shock speed, not car speed), which is what controls things like roll and pitch rate.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Teching In

i just bought a set of bmr lowering springs to go with the shocks...
i would say my car is a street setup ..... but the only thing i lack from having full sus- would be a k-member!
bmr control arms ,panhard rod, sway bars, subframe connectors, bmr turbo 400 convert cross-member and torque arm.. so its beefed real good...
Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by screamnbird01
i just bought a set of bmr lowering springs to go with the shocks...
i would say my car is a street setup ..... but the only thing i lack from having full sus- would be a k-member!
bmr control arms ,panhard rod, sway bars, subframe connectors, bmr turbo 400 convert cross-member and torque arm.. so its beefed real good...
Looks like you have a slew of pretty good parts on there. The sway bars and springs will do a good job to make your car run and the KYBs shouldn't make the car ride worse than stock. They will be a minor improvement, so you should be happy since they don't cost an arm and a leg.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Yes, I would. To start with the Bilstein's are just shocks. Unless you want the spring and height adjustment that the Edelbrock fronts come with (of course even if you buy rears they don't come with rear springs to match anyway) you are paying for something you may not use at all, or is just too stiff for you.

Further, the Bilstein's have fewer little moving parts on the piston. The idea behind both is the same and in general the more simple way is usually best. Edelbrock uses this sliding ring and springs to manipulate the oil flow through the piston. Bilstein uses what they call deflective discs, which are calibrated washers that flex at certain forces... the spring and valve in one essentially. K.I.S.S. stuff

Further, Edelbrock has a 1 year warranty. Bilstein's have a lifetime warranty. It's a little gray with the whole SLP thing, but in the end now that they are the same shock right down to the part number, it turns out they usually honor the lifetime deal. But on these shocks I can't think of maybe 4 times it's needed to be invoked.

And then there is the valving. Not as different as I might like, which is why I still prefer Koni's personally as they are a bit more taut. But the Bilstein's in general have better low piston speed control (that's shock speed, not car speed), which is what controls things like roll and pitch rate.
Now this is the kind of tech support that people pay for, I have yet to see anything even remotely close to this from other vendors. Only them trying to meet their sales goals by pushing extra parts on people that are not necessary(notice how others push anything with their name stamped on it, but don't push shocks anywhere near as hard- the one most important part that should be pushed the most). You wont see them trying to just sell shocks alone, they must be sold with another piece of their own hardware...
Sam continue to do what you do and just ignore the pencil pushing sales men.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
They are decent budget shock that won't break the bank. We have had quite a few customer use them with our BMR lowering springs and be very happy with the ride and performance. Bilstein and Tokico shocks are also other shocks that are right around the same budget that would probably work pretty well for what you are looking to do. If there is anything I can help you out with let me know.
Thats the exact same setup I have in my ride.

The guys at BMR were very helpful in my choice, calling them "pencil pushing sales men" is really uncalled for. Do not ask for respect if you are not able to give it.

Your post is directed at starting ****. Please let there be noticed that it was you who are starting this same old crap....
Old 11-18-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Now this is the kind of tech support that people pay for, I have yet to see anything even remotely close to this from other vendors. Only them trying to meet their sales goals by pushing extra parts on people that are not necessary(notice how others push anything with their name stamped on it, but don't push shocks anywhere near as hard- the one most important part that should be pushed the most). You wont see them trying to just sell shocks alone, they must be sold with another piece of their own hardware...
Sam continue to do what you do and just ignore the pencil pushing sales men.
Quote it in case you decide to do a bit of "editing".
Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chaman
Thats the exact same setup I have in my ride.
Chaman, don't you have the older 1" drop springs (pre-strano copied ones)?
The guys at BMR were very helpful in my choice, calling them "pencil pushing sales men" is really uncalled for. Do not ask for respect if you are not able to give it.

Your post is directed at starting ****. Please let there be noticed that it was you who are starting this same old crap....
Funny that you can point out who the salesmen are without me have to say who im talking about
Im sure they helped sell you on some extras like LCAs and relocation brackets as well, claiming you "need" them.

Quote it in case you decide to do a bit of "editing".
Please
Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Be a man and stand behind your post, fanboy. You know very well why you posted all that NEEDLESS crap. Do not cry for respect before learning to respect others. Its very clear you are just looking to start the drama you and your "boss" crave for.

And no, they didnt tried to sell me anything else, sorry to bust your bubble. They treated me very well and for that, Im grateful. Im sure BMR sales are proof that a lot of other people are grateful too.

Here, look at this thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...their-own.html

Look and LEARN how different sponsors posted their products without feeling the need to start a soap opera. No tantrums, no whining....and all of them SUCCESSFUL.

Last edited by chaman; 11-18-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I kind of wish I saved up for konis or bilsteins. But these were cheap and I want thinking lowering at the time.. Anyone notice them making squeaks hitting small bumps? Like the squeak of the pressure letting off. It sounds silly sometimes
Old 11-19-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Be a man and stand behind your post
I do 100%, its the truth.
You know very well why you posted all that NEEDLESS crap. Do not cry for respect before learning to respect others. Its very clear you are just looking to start the drama you and your "boss" crave for.
Please... I can't respect people with such lack of ethics, and childish behavior (umiparts.com for example).

Look and LEARN how different sponsors posted their products without feeling the need to start a soap opera. No tantrums, no whining....and all of them SUCCESSFUL.
You shouldn't be talking to me about this, try telling that to www.umiparts.com (not to be confused with UMI performance).
Old 11-19-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Really? and you think your stupid, post was ethic?? Stop being such a fanboy dude. You came out if nowhere and forced the issue once again. If that is ethic....

If these guys "stole" anything let courts decide. That is if there is proof of such a thing, which I honestly doubt it.

You bring it up here at every thread is far from ethic....and its not your problem, you fanboy behavior is pathetic.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Really? and you think your stupid, post was ethic?? Stop being such a fanboy dude. You came out if nowhere and forced the issue once again. If that is ethic....
Does it really bother you that much that I point out the obvious? And you call me a fanboy, open your eyes man.

If these guys "stole" anything let courts decide. That is if there is proof of such a thing, which I honestly doubt it.

You bring it up here at every thread is far from ethic....and its not your problem, you fanboy behavior is pathetic.
Its unethical to point out if someone copies something? Or claims one thing is the best, then contradicts them self by claiming something else is the best now? Or using one of their competitors names as a site tag for more traffic? Or getting threads deleted/locked if someone complains about their product/service?

Quick Reply: shocks , kyb- agx shocks ?