Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running like crap

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running like crap

Feels like its running on 7 cylinders, when I get on it a little bit it sounds like a subaru boxer engine and if I put it in 6th gear at 60ish the entire car shakes. The only codes I'm getting are knock sensor, tps, almost constant misfire and both rear o2 sensors which I will be changing tomorrow. I used one of those laser heat reading guns on all 8 exhaust ports and they were all within 50° of each other. Any idea what's wrong?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbo_outlaw
Feels like its running on 7 cylinders, when I get on it a little bit it sounds like a subaru boxer engine and if I put it in 6th gear at 60ish the entire car shakes. The only codes I'm getting are knock sensor, tps, almost constant misfire and both rear o2 sensors which I will be changing tomorrow. I used one of those laser heat reading guns on all 8 exhaust ports and they were all within 50° of each other. Any idea what's wrong?
Change the knock sensor. It makes the car go into limp mode which will rob you of power. The rear 02's shouldn't make it run like crap, cause they are basically "monitors" and don't effect performance. As for the misfire, check all of your plug wires to make sure they are on good an tight. Or, change your spark plugs and wires all together. Start there and see if that helps.

Edit: You say a constant misfire. What code is it? p0300, or is it a specific cylinder?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

It was originally cylinder 5 misfire but now it says multiple.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

threw a bunch of parts at it today to get rid of the codes but it still runs bad. only code i have now is muptiple cylinder misfire. i did get a unknown code p1122 i think it was. my only guess is one of the cylinders isnt firing.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

threw a bunch of parts at it today to get rid of the codes but it still runs bad. only code i have now is muptiple cylinder misfire. i did get a unknown code p1122 i think it was. my only guess is one of the cylinders isnt firing.
That's your tps. You said you threw a bunch of parts at it. What all did you do?

Also, what all is done to the car?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

new fuel pump, both post-cat o2 sensors, tps and cleaned the maf. the p1122 code went away after i changed the tps. right after i changed the o2 sensors the car smoked very bad, pretty sure it was oil. the car also has a loud lifter tick and a lot of blow by.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

the knock sensor code didnt come up either this time.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

new fuel pump, both post-cat o2 sensors, tps and cleaned the maf. the p1122 code went away after i changed the tps. right after i changed the o2 sensors the car smoked very bad, pretty sure it was oil. the car also has a loud lifter tick and a lot of blow by.
That's not good. Are you 100% sure it's a lifter?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

no im not 100% sure. from what i have compared it to it sounds pretty much the same as lifter tick. might be a pushrod or rocker arm or..? i just bought this car a little over a week ago (rushed into it) not realizing it had problems besides the ticking noise. im starting to get really angry with this car thinking i should have got a HONDA.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

no im not 100% sure. from what i have compared it to it sounds pretty much the same as lifter tick. might be a pushrod or rocker arm or..? i just bought this car a little over a week ago (rushed into it) not realizing it had problems besides the ticking noise. im starting to get really angry with this car thinking i should have got a HONDA.
Ah, don't stress it too much just yet. Pull the valve covers and inspect your rockers and pushrods. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

the only thing im really stressing about is how hard it is to work on these cars. something as simple as pulling a valve cover off is extremely intimidating lol
Old 11-18-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only thing im really stressing about is how hard it is to work on these cars. something as simple as pulling a valve cover off is extremely intimidating lol
Pulling the valve covers is extremely simple. The only thing you need to worry about is putting the rocker arms back on and making sure you torque them down right. 22 ft lbs of torque is what it should be.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i should have got a HONDA.
Truer words never spoken. Trade that sucker for a VTEC and enjoy!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by crainholio
Truer words never spoken. Trade that sucker for a VTEC and enjoy!
the quote in your sig is ******* ho-larious. i actually lol. I know someone like that. there 88z is slow for some reason.lol
Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

by the way, the car came with a diablo tuner but was on stock tune. i decided to try it out on the performance tune then put it back to stock when i was done playing. it was right after that when i noticed the car running like junk. maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you changed the knock sensors?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

No I haven't. It probably sounds dumb but I don't want to change them unless it's a guaranteed problem because there is way to much work involved to change them. I'm going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I haven't. It probably sounds dumb but I don't want to change them unless it's a guaranteed problem because there is way to much work involved to change them. I'm going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow and see what they say.
When these cars throw a knock sensor code change them. I haven't seen a computer, harness, or a fake code for it yet. Knock sensors are critical for the performance of an ls or really any engine to detect knock and for the computer to know there is knock going on. Engines can be damaged do to knock. I wouldn't hesitate if I was you. And your car will run like crap too.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

I no longer get the knock sensor code after changing some parts, so maybe they are good.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you put the car through the test and see if it feel better?