Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

texas speed iron block question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question texas speed iron block question?

So I'm looking to start a build on a 6.0l iron block still unsure if i want it turbo'd or all motor but I definitely want the 6.0l block my question is what is the difference between a bowtie lsx block compared to say this much cheaper iron block from Texas speed http://www.texas-speed.com/p-573-gm-...ron-block.aspx I'm trying to keep it as budget as i can but still yield good HP/tq numbers and maintain a reliable daily driver. Any info, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've read through many of the threads on here but haven't seen a build using this Texas speed block. Thanks .
Old 11-18-2011, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feel free to give us a call so we can help clarify some things for you and help get you into a setup that fits your needs and your budget.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

I bought a cast 6L from texas speed. The block is for a 402ci 8-71 blown motor making 900ish flwhp. The guys from texas are really nice and can help you out!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks Aaron ill be giving you guys a call around January when I'm ready to start the whole build , and thanks Daniel just the response I was looking for, someone with first hand experience with these products
Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LSX block is beefier and can be bored out bigger. It is heavier than the 6.0 truck block. The LSX block can accommodate 6 bolt per cylinder heads like the LS7 style heads and the mains are stronger. Heck the whole block is stronger.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, the LSx block is much stronger than the 6.0L LQ block. As mentioned, it is a bit heavier, but not by a lot. There is also more machining required to finish the block as compared to the LQ.

It really would come down to whether or not you will be turning up the wick and pushing big power down the road. If so, then the LSx block is a no-brainer. But for your average 600-800hp combo, the 6.0L block will do just fine!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!