Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not DOT approved?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default not DOT approved?

Went to get my car inspected today and they commented on how my sidemarkers were shaded (did my self) and that there not DOT aprroved aftermarkets, i told them there not aftermarket lights there factory and i shaded myself, i looked and they have serial numbers and "offical gm printing" on them just no DOT on them, any one else's side markers lights like this?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow someone really loves their job i say take somewhere else and have them inspeact it
Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely smoothed mine before I tinted them. Never even thought about being "DOT Compliant".
Old 11-19-2011, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

did they fail you?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either go somewhere else or just buy some off a junkyard car and slap them on for the inspection.. they probably werent dot approved because you tinted them...
Old 11-19-2011, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
either go somewhere else or just buy some off a junkyard car and slap them on for the inspection.. they probably werent dot approved because you tinted them...

You more than likely failed because the are not orange/red. The factory lenses don't have a DOT stamp on them
Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Here in TX the sidemarkers dont even make a crap for inspection except for 18 wheelers, trailers, etc. If you look at alot of cars there are no side markers nowadays and if some dont come equipped from factory cant make every car have them to pass. Not sure about your location though and laws.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
You more than likely failed because the are not orange/red. The factory lenses don't have a DOT stamp on them
true, and thats what i was wondering if the factory ones said it or not

he passed it but i asked him what wouldn't pass and he said cause they were smoked they caught his attention and then said that

and ive gotten such mixed bs form inspectors here (this guy being some one i know and most legit place, lexus dealer) he seemed most accurate, one inspector said as long as no RED dash lights are on id pass, ABS lights yellow so i thought o cool, he was wrong, and wrong with other things for inspecting but anyways, thanks guys was just wondering what factory came with and or why they wouldn't be
Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

If you look at alot of cars there are no side markers nowadays and if some dont come equipped from factory cant make every car have them to pass.
what new cars dont have them?

personally im glad he didnt pass ya. I wish they would do this with the idiots tinting their taillights. they are bright red for a reason. they should also fine the idiots who put in HIDs but do it wrong and blind mother ******* everyone as they drive by.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 71novaguy

personally im glad he didnt pass ya. I wish they would do this with the idiots tinting their taillights. they are bright red for a reason. they should also fine the idiots who put in HIDs but do it wrong and blind mother ******* everyone as they drive by.
I agree with the HID's. Those should be outlawed.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

personally im glad he didnt pass ya.
He did pass
Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rules are there for a reason, I remember back in the day when companies were selling basically clear tail light lenses and even with red bulbs, cops be pulling over EVERYONE. So in CT you never see them anymore.

Since it's safety related they are allowed discretion when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Lots of cars don't have them mounted on the side like ours. That's why in texas its not illegal. I looked in our state inspection book at work here and that's the only reason I tinted mine with vht. Wouldn't have if it was illegal. But no tinted tails for me here. Too much bs to put up with lol
Old 11-21-2011, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Im glad you did pass, there is nothing wrong with tinted, lights or hid's when done right. yes hid's can suck when there pointed up to high, but cars now come with lights that are just as bright. Im glad here in oklahoma we dont have inspections or any of that. It allows you to have free run with your car with out some guy on a power trip to tell you otherwise
Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Take note my taillights are factory/not smoked, one cause i like them the way they look and 2 there a major light not a bs sidemarker light, red means stop so they should stay red i dont wanna get rearended lol. but i agrre with the HIDS they drive me nuts even the factory ones in acuras and what not, but i feel cause one person dosnt like something it shouldnt ban everyone elses right, not going into poltics and whos right/wrong but, an inspection should be to make sure ur cars SAFE. for all the people i saw come into are old shop with dead wheel bearings, metal on metal brakes, MISSING lights etc, and they just want an oil change and nothing else but get mad when something breaks 2 weeks later that we told them about or they fail inspection for any of the above
Old 11-22-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

X2 and X2.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

If you look at alot of cars there are no side markers nowadays and if some dont come equipped from factory cant make every car have them to pass.
I'm still waiting to see these cars without them...
Old 11-23-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Curious, were mine on my old v6 too dark in your opinion? I don't like blacked out lights, but I don't think tinting them a bit is bad. It didn't noticeably affect light output either.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2.../oct09back.jpg

I agree with you on those who put HID in their stock housings. That drives me nuts. When I got HID I got projectors both for better light usability and for keeping the light out of oncoming traffic.

Is it really a safety hazard if when my car is parked that the front markers aren't a bright orange color? As soon as the car was turned on they would glow amber because of the DRL.

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 11-23-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Lol at 71 nova guy..Some areas you need HID lights..like out here ,there are no street lights .so with out HIDs people put there brights on which is 2x worse ..anyways OP I am glad you passed and didn't fail for something that LAME
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Lol at 71 nova guy..Some areas you need HID lights..like out here ,there are no street lights .so with out HIDs people put there brights on which is 2x worse ..anyways OP I am glad you passed and didn't fail for something that LAME
my silverado does not have HID's but I have no issues with seeing. I would put it against any HID vehicle and I bet I would come out at least even. I rarely drive it the high beams on because it lights the road that well.

Is it really a safety hazard if when my car is parked that the front markers aren't a bright orange color? As soon as the car was turned on they would glow amber because of the DRL
the markers are there for when you are on the side of the road (possible due to being broke down) or other situations where an on coming driver would not expect a car to be there. with the lights off, you are basically invisable to an oncoming driver in the dark because they are not looking for you. Without reflectors, they wont be able to make good decisions because they dont know you're there. if they run into your car in the dark and claim they couldnt see your car and they find your relectors altered, its going to be your fault and you're going to have to pay.

which brings me back to the original point. what U.S. spec car does not have reflectors of some sort on them?