Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Got some issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got some issues

First off I have a popping sound coming from what sounds to be coming from the drivers side wheel. Only when turning real sharp and also the steering feels kinda mushy and nice and tight.

Second I got the car up to around 60 mph for the first time today and the car rode really rough. Seems like the faster you go over 60 mph the worse it got. I dont know how to really describe it other than it started riding really rough.

I just got the car together, so I dont have any past expierence to reference to, but any info would be greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just got the car back together you could have distorted brake rotors. Depending on how long the car was down or where it sat they could be warped. That might be your vibration on the highway. It could be allignment issues also. The popping sound my old camaro did that. I was told it was tie rods and ball joints. I never got the car fixed because I sold it before I got around to doing it.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know the car has sat since Apr since I have had it here in Bama and sat prob another 3-4 months in New York before that. I do know that it needs an alignment because I put the engine and trans in from the bottom. The previous owner claimed to have replace the ball joints and tie rods, but I know how that goes.

The rotors are aftermarket slotted/cross drilled rotors and i will say i have probably put 10-15 miles on the cars in short trips with plenty of stops and they still dont appear clean. So these rotors could cause the vibration at higher speeds?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

In my experiences if a rotor is warped it vibrates worse and worse the faster you go. It could be a driveline issue also. Does it grind and shake when you stop? It could also be a bent rim or a wheel weight fell off. There are a lot of little things that can make a vibration.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

its seems to stop pretty smooth. No chattering like I have expierenced in the past with bad rotors.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I don't know then. They probably aren't warped then. I guess check your rims and make sure all the weights are there. You might just need to drive around some more, you know what I mean? When cars sit a lot of stuff needs to get broken back in again.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, i hope your right. It was a little disappointing the first time I got it above 50 mph it rode like total ***. Any ideas on what to check for the mushy steering and popping noise
Old 11-19-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Steering could be air in the power steering lines somehow or maybe a leak. The popping noise like I said in my case it was apparently ball joints and tie rods. Other than that I guess just check the front suspension and look for something rubbing or broke off or something.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds good. Thanks for the advice and you might be right on the air in the steering system. I have a busted power steering pump resevoir which I will be replacing this week.

Quick Reply: Got some issues