Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just purchased motor and Trans for my swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased motor and Trans for my swap

Alright guys first I would like to thank you for your help prior. I am building a 1971 Chevy C10 shortbed. I just purchased a decommissioned 2002 tahoe with a 5.3 and 4l60e Trans with 123k miles. I have the whole truck and it runs good. My question is what do I want to do with this motor prior to installing it in my truck. I'm looking for mild mods to give me a little more power. And also do I want to simply leave the wiring harness and PCM alone or will modding it be beneficial such as removing smog equipment. Any sugestions or different vendors for these questions would be a big help
Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

we are doing two swaps at the moment.. one into a 56 ford f100 big window, and one into a 69 C10 longbed. both are 2001 tahoe donors (separate places at different times)

we followed the lt1swap.com site instructions for moding the wire harness..

one we converted from dbw to dbc, and maybe going to a car intake from truck
(nicer engine covers).. dbw you get cruise free for a couple switches..

we turned off emissions and removed the rear-o2 sensors and any key connected security.

I am considering whether to change the cam in the f100 to something more aggressive.

headers on the f100 have been the hardest part, as the steering linkage goes thru inside the frame.. I see here that some others have had similar troubles on the C10s

Sam
Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sticking with the truck intake or switching to a car intake?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 11-22-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

You need to do some research on what you can and can't do in California. They have stric rules on how engine transplants are done. Talk to some of the Cali guys on here or at car shows to get some information on how to do it legally.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys I am planning on staying with the truck engine and not switching any parts for
It for now. Also I can do whatever to the motor due to truck being pre-75 so I have no restrictions. How hard is it to mod yourself or would it be better to buy the complete harness done already
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Cam and get rid of the emissions stuff imo
Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Teching In

This is my first swap so let me break down what my plan a little. I have the 71 c10 chassis is done with a 12 bolt rear end 4.11 posi unit in the back. I am going to use this as my daily driver. I would like to reach 300 rwp and keep the reliability aspect of the ls1. What companies make good cam kits for it and harness kits. With this being my first swap I would like to get kits to make the swap easier. Thanks again for all the help
Old 11-23-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nutcasecopper
This is my first swap so let me break down what my plan a little. I have the 71 c10 chassis is done with a 12 bolt rear end 4.11 posi unit in the back. I am going to use this as my daily driver. I would like to reach 300 rwp and keep the reliability aspect of the ls1. What companies make good cam kits for it and harness kits. With this being my first swap I would like to get kits to make the swap easier. Thanks again for all the help

See the man who posted in response #3 for the harness, he is a sponsor here and has some great customer svc to boot.

As far as 300 HP, the stock LS1 makes more than that......My wifes Yukon w a5/3 makes 285 I believe.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nutcasecopper
What companies make good cam kits for it

http://www.texas-speed.com/c-120-cam...alvetrain.aspx
Old 11-23-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

If you are only looking for 300rwhp you could probably bore your engine out to a 5.7, get new heads and a Z06 cam and springs. You'd probably have what you want after some tuning.

4.11s might be a bit much for a DD with an auto, due to killing your MPG if you are doing much highway driving.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

300rwhp with a 5.3 is pretty easily achieved. ive seen 330rw with headers, ls6 cam, and a tune...

watch out for what you can do in california for sure. but there's plenty of people out there modding and still passing the sniffer test..
Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

I would just swap it straight over. If you have the Tahoe then it will be fairly simple to swap the relay/fuse box and harness and only have to hook up a few wires.

My 5.3 is going into a Vette, so I swapped in a Z06 cam and springs and LS1 intake. Pulling the balancer bolt, balancer etc. was a huge pain and learning experience. Had to borrow a balancer re-installer to get it back on. My cheapo Harbor Freight 3 jaw puller exploded, so you will need a high quality puller.

Granted, if you have the tools and ambition then swap the cam.

Quick Reply: Just purchased motor and Trans for my swap