Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange sound after shock install, ideas please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sound after shock install, ideas please?

Recently installed Bilstein shocks on my car. All 4 of them. Install went well, no significant problems, put everything back together as it should be.

Just last night, and especially today while driving the car I've noticed a difference...the car makes a squeaking sound. I've isolated the sound to the front left wheel of the car. The noise only occurs when the tires are rolling, and it's tough to describe. Sounds like rubber being squeezed or squished as the tire rolls.

I asked my friend who helped me with the install. He said that sometimes new shocks on old bushings, will give it different pressure. He thinks it might be the bushing.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? It's a very annoying sound. I thought about pulling the wheel off and dousing everything in WD-40 to try to fix it.

Anyone with any ideas?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going to suggest its maybe your upper control arm bushings. Mine squeek pretty bad. If you want to go hardcore (install is a super pain but it makes a big difference) Energy Suspension makes a urethane bushing kit. I have one and plan on installing it...someday.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

UPDATE:

Got it fixed. Took it to Firestone, they do a $10 vehicle inspection. The guy took a look at it and told me the plastic shield that hangs underneath the front end of the car, (I thought it was a cooling shield for the tranny) was knocked out of place and was rubbing against the tire. All he did was realign it, and the noise went away. They didn't charge me for the inspection either.

I also got a free alignment, car handles superbly now. Feels very nimble, even at high speeds. It was probably one of the better alignments i've ever had.