Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission question

I just bought a 2001 A4 Z28. The car has 73,600 miles on it, and is basically stock. The guy I bought it from said the trans has been reprogrammed with a Power Programmer through the OBD2 port (his words, not mine; he didn't do the mod). The transmission shifts just fine, but has an annoying quality: it shifts into gear HARD. When going from park to OD, it shifts quite hard, and the 1-2 shift is also pretty firm. 2-3, and 3-4/OD are just fine. It just seems a bit aggressive when putting it in gear. Does any of this make sense? Basically I just want to know if this was made possible by programming, or would mechanical tweaks be the only way to make the trans operate like this? I was told by a mechanic that this would not be possible to do using the OBD2 port.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

does it have a shift kit, mine shifts a little hard when going from park to drive. I had mine rebuilt and after that it started shifting a little harder. Maybe the program added to much line pressure to the trans
Old 11-22-2011, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it is possible for someone to go in and increase the PCS amperage and in turn increase line pressure with a tuning device.

If the 1/2 feels harsh but the 2/3 and 3/4 do not then it is possible that there is excessive wear at the 3/4 clutches andthat is why it was programmend that way in the first place... But thats just a guess.

g
Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FormulaTA327
does it have a shift kit, mine shifts a little hard when going from park to drive. I had mine rebuilt and after that it started shifting a little harder. Maybe the program added to much line pressure to the trans
No shift-kit has been installed as far as I know.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
Yes it is possible for someone to go in and increase the PCS amperage and in turn increase line pressure with a tuning device.

If the 1/2 feels harsh but the 2/3 and 3/4 do not then it is possible that there is excessive wear at the 3/4 clutches andthat is why it was programmend that way in the first place... But thats just a guess.

g
2/3 and 3/4 are are a little firm, and can be felt. They just aren't nearly as noticable as P/OD. 1/2 is firm, but not enough to make the car a harsh drive. Thanks for the insight guys!