Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to enter the LS1 Family

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to enter the LS1 Family

I just got approved for my loan on a GTO, i need some insite from owners. It WILL be a 6-speed, i am upgrading from my poostang gt. The car i buy will most likely be bone stock, i am not looking for a ton of power, just a little noise suggestions on parts and where to look for parts would me much appreciated.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

rear suspension can use some tightening. start with drag bags and some nice tires.

pedders makes a nice kit too.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:36 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you getting an LS1 or LS2 goat? To most it doesn't matter, but personally I'd try to find an LS2 GTO...
Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 AM
Teching In

Cutout = Noise. Done (:
Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

flowmasters sounded great on my friends GTO.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Most likely an LS1 unless i can find a good deal on an LS2. I was wanting to put cut-outs at the headers so i can **** the neighbors off when i want to but still be able to talk with friends in the car. I have Borla on my poostang, i've always been kinda iffy about flowmaster but then again the LS engines are REAL engines and not a "wanna be" engine. Definitely want to get bigger headers for some extra sound but i have no idea what i should be looking for.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

I have flows on my 04 GTO. With L/T and a catted X the flows sound awesome. I also had a mustang. It was a 06 Mustang GT. I think I went through 9 different exhaust set-ups and most of them sounded good but nothing like my GTO; however, because of a ticket, I will be putting on stock maifold or JBAs and stock cats.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Launching!

What year "poostang" did you have? If you want your car extremely loud, cutouts w/a large cam. If you're going with the 04 GTO I would also suggest upgraded your heads.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Teching In

gmantheman, where do you live? there are plenty of cars in florida that run straight pipes or open headers and i have never heard of them getting a ticket. My mustang is an 02' GT convertible. The upgrade from the Mustang to a GTO is a big enough power gain for now so i am not looking for a cam...yet. I just wanted some ideas on the basic mods to start off with and maybe a general price that i should expect. Also some pointers on what brands to stay away from, i know cheapest isn't always the best way.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

I live in Cali so that explains alot. This site has a lot of information regarding mods. I still have a lot to learn. My car currently has an MS3 cam which is a relatively large cam for a d/d. I just purchased a comp cam 222/222 with a .563/.563. This won't be as lopey but will be a better d/d cam.
Also, keep in mind that if you want to upgrade your gears, you will pay twice as much. I paid $585 parts in labor to have 4.10 installed on my mustang. I got price quote of around $1200 parts in labor to have gears installed on the GTO.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bill2129
Cutout = Noise. Done (:
and it's gonna make it sound retarded...

I don't think cutouts sound good at all... if you want it to sound good headers true duals all the way out the back
Old 11-27-2011, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMayneEvent22
gmantheman, where do you live? there are plenty of cars in florida that run straight pipes or open headers and i have never heard of them getting a ticket. My mustang is an 02' GT convertible. The upgrade from the Mustang to a GTO is a big enough power gain for now so i am not looking for a cam...yet. I just wanted some ideas on the basic mods to start off with and maybe a general price that i should expect. Also some pointers on what brands to stay away from, i know cheapest isn't always the best way.
well if you live in flordia like i do you can have whatever exhaust you want and not worry, they only care about speeding down here. as far as your questions, honestly you say you will be fine with basic power and just noise mods ( which would sound ricer-ish on any other forum) but you will grow out of that. you will want more, they always do. so start off doing things the right way the first time rather than doing it twice, as another thing you will learn is doing just about anything on the ls motor is a pain in the ***. but worth it. and honestly most exhaust systems have a pretty good tone and are loud enough for you. i run a cutout in the ORY with bbk lt's and a corsa catback when i want to be quiet. it is plently loud and puts the gaystangs to shame when they rev their ****. i dont have a non stock cam but ppl always are asking which cam i have. if you want the best headers, go with kooks 5/8 headers right off the bat, if you dont want to pay close to a grand for headers and want good headers that have even better fitment, go with BBK. stay the hell away from most slp stuff, overpriced crap most of it is. go to dmh performance for your cutout ( i got the electric one) and catback? id go true duals from texas speed but thats me. if your concerned about ground clearance then a catback with cutout is the way to go, flowmaster and magnaflow are too quiet, IMO corsa, GMMG and spintech are the ones to go with.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by doubleD_white_t/a
and it's gonna make it sound retarded...

I don't think cutouts sound good at all... if you want it to sound good headers true duals all the way out the back

depends. ive heard some that do and some that dont. mine happens to sound great. ppl ask what ive stroked the motor out to or what cam ive put in. truth is stock cam and stock cubes. although be careful because if you make all that growl and lose, ppl will ask more questions lol
Old 11-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gmantheman
Also, keep in mind that if you want to upgrade your gears, you will pay twice as much. I paid $585 parts in labor to have 4.10 installed on my mustang. I got price quote of around $1200 parts in labor to have gears installed on the GTO.
Why is that? Just curious....that's a big difference.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i know just to service a diff it was 300. for install of gears your talking that plus more, they have to press a bearing on too and of course overcharge you for everything. thats why i do my own work
Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usnfenix
well if you live in flordia like i do you can have whatever exhaust you want and not worry, they only care about speeding down here. as far as your questions, honestly you say you will be fine with basic power and just noise mods ( which would sound ricer-ish on any other forum) but you will grow out of that. you will want more, they always do. so start off doing things the right way the first time rather than doing it twice, as another thing you will learn is doing just about anything on the ls motor is a pain in the ***. but worth it. and honestly most exhaust systems have a pretty good tone and are loud enough for you. i run a cutout in the ORY with bbk lt's and a corsa catback when i want to be quiet. it is plently loud and puts the gaystangs to shame when they rev their ****. i dont have a non stock cam but ppl always are asking which cam i have. if you want the best headers, go with kooks 5/8 headers right off the bat, if you dont want to pay close to a grand for headers and want good headers that have even better fitment, go with BBK. stay the hell away from most slp stuff, overpriced crap most of it is. go to dmh performance for your cutout ( i got the electric one) and catback? id go true duals from texas speed but thats me. if your concerned about ground clearance then a catback with cutout is the way to go, flowmaster and magnaflow are too quiet, IMO corsa, GMMG and spintech are the ones to go with.
The GTO comes standard with true duals. I had spintechs on my GTO but with L/T and catted X it was way too loud. I had flow 40s installed and I love the sound. I get a lot of compliments. Of course the MS3 cam helps a lot.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gmantheman
The GTO comes standard with true duals. I had spintechs on my GTO but with L/T and catted X it was way too loud. I had flow 40s installed and I love the sound. I get a lot of compliments. Of course the MS3 cam helps a lot.
yea i imagine the cam would help. for some reason the ls1 does not really sounds good with flowmasters in most setups ive heard. not like it does on other non ls motors. i still think he cant go wrong with gmmg or corsa.

OP, forgot to mention go to ls1sounds.com and listen to various exhaust brands. that will help you
Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Franchi
Why is that? Just curious....that's a big difference.
I assume it's more involved and gears alone for the GTO run about $400.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Teching In

head, cam, intake, headers, and true duals and you are flying! The car will sound real tough but you can still have a conversation in the car.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help everyone, it looks like i will be picking mine up thursday. Do the ls1 models have and ls6 intake or is it still the ls1 intake? I here some guys at the speed shop saying that GM switched the intakes starting with the 01' camaro ss...is this true? As for wanting more power instead of just noise...OF COURSE! I am going from a Poostang GT with 235 to the wheels, 265 after bolts ons at best, to a GTO with 300 to the wheels stock. There is no way that is going to be enough lol. But starting off i would like to get some noise out of it. Anyways, big question is about the intake size. I haven't been able to find anything about it.