Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

do i really need a STB, sway bar and torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default do i really need a STB, sway bar and torque arm?

ok i was thinkin of a strut tower brace, 21mm rear sway bar and torque arm. will i really beable to feel any of this. i HAD a stb but had to sell it cause of the fuel rail cover, it was an slp stb. thing is i dont know if i should go back. in the torque arm i have a poly bushing and that seems good. its just a bolt on car so do i really need it? any imput please!
Old 03-12-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you really need them...No, are they a good addition......Yes.

Al
Old 03-12-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd add them... the STB made a noticeable difference in preventing the car from "tracking" along any grooves in the road. I'll take my STB off when I go to the drag strip, but I leave it on in any other conditions because I don't like the way it tracks on the grooves.

The torque arm made a big difference in how the car planted on a launch... I have no wheel hop now, when I had a little with just boxed LCAs and the stock torque arm.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

so pretty much if i get no wheel hop dont worry about the torque arm? what about the rear sway bar? i dont get any wheel hop on launch it will spin or hook, plus im not gonna be goin to the track a lot anyway. i never payed attention to how the car was in grooves but now that i think aobut it it pulls more now without it. anyone else?
Old 03-12-2004, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

I did both the front and rear swaybars on mine, and it made all the difference in the world. I've yet to get it to a dragstrip, so I don't know how it helped/hindered, or whatever. All I know is that everyone that gets in the car comments about how it feels like they're riding on rails, the car doesn't lean hardly at all. I only wish I had done this within a week of buying the car!

Stock Springs @ 42K. I have an STB as well.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Second_Infinity
I did both the front and rear swaybars on mine, and it made all the difference in the world. I've yet to get it to a dragstrip, so I don't know how it helped/hindered, or whatever. All I know is that everyone that gets in the car comments about how it feels like they're riding on rails, the car doesn't lean hardly at all. I only wish I had done this within a week of buying the car!

Stock Springs @ 42K. I have an STB as well.
what kind of swaybars do you have?
Old 03-13-2004, 06:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

i have the ws6 32mm front and the plain ol 19mm in the rear
Old 03-13-2004, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

I Did The Sphon Package And I Love It Also For The Orig Question I Would Say Yes Do A Stb You Will Notice Less Of A Floaty Feeling When Hitting Triple Digits And Overall Improvement In Handling (imo) Im Finally Done With My Suspension And I Gotta Tell You I Love My Setup... Handels Well And Hooks Great Too The Only Bad Part It The Car Feels So Stable And Solid Its Not As Fun To Drive Anymore... I Guess I Just Need More Power Now To Shake Things Up
Old 03-13-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok so yes on the STB, sway bar? yes or no for the rear? im thinkin itll help if i get on it and keep the rear held up better, im thinkin no on the torque arm just cause thats a lot of money and seems to be better for track use, the poly bushing should be good enough right?
Old 03-13-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

If you're interested in fast straight line times, just get the torque arm. Even hard core racers and autocrossers are hesitant to increase the rear sway bar, so forget about that unless you get real serious into road racing. If you start dabbling in road race or autocross, step up to the 35mm front sway bar..