Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam/Head install. Got everything?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam/Head install. Got everything?

I plan to order this week and the list is as follows.

PRC stag 2.5, 5.3 heads
Torquer V2
LS7 Lifters
Behive valvesprings
7.4 pushrods
single chain
oil pump
gasket kit with head and cam bolts
LS6 intake
Air tube and EGR gasket
pushrod cups
oil and filter
coolant

Am I missing anything? Would like to get everything at once so if I dont have something please let me know.

Also any good install tips/tricks would be good too. I tried checking that ls1howto site but it was down.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do yourself a favor and get yourself some ARP headstuds....they make the install easier and make any future head swaps cake. You also need a new balancer bolt. Are you upgrading the chain while your in there?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe some lifter trays? The trunion rocker arm upgrade?

Those are optional, but they will help especially if you're already doing all that work.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by marthastewart

PRC stag 2.5, 5.3 heads
Torquer V2
LS7 Lifters
Behive valvesprings
7.4 pushrods
single chain
oil pump
LS6 intake
Air tube and EGR gasket
pushrod cups
oil and filter
coolant

Am I missing anything? Would like to get everything at once so if I dont have something please let me know.

Also any good install tips/tricks would be good too. I tried checking that ls1howto site but it was down.

Thanks!
Does your gasket kit include header gaskets? I am also in process of doing a head / cam swap and need to order the same type of parts...
Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

texas speed has everything you need a h/c swap
Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Header gaskets are reusable since they are mls.

You do need a balancer bolt too.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

As noted, Trunion upgrade would be a nice insurance mod. If you are going LS7 lifters pick up some LS2 lifter trays.

Also pick up some ARP Headbolts/Studs, very good quality and they are reusable unlike the TTY GM headbolts. The studs will be good if you plan on pulling the heads off in the future but if not then the ARP Headbolts will do just fine.

I would also pick up a new Harmonic balancer and bolt while you are in there.

One more thing that would help is some Redline Assembly Lube. Apply it to the Cam, rockers, pushrods, etc. It washes out as soon as oil hits it. This stuff also makes the oil pump o-ring go in much easier which a lot of guys seem to have issues with.

What timing chain are you going with?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PRC stag 2.5, 5.3 heads
Torquer V2
LS7 Lifters
Behive valvesprings
7.4 pushrods
single chain
oil pump
LS6 intake
Air tube and EGR gasket
pushrod cups
oil and filter
coolant

Thanks!
Your list looks good! As mentioned, a comp rocker trunion upgrade wouldnt be a bad idea while you are in there, but its not required. Give me a call so we can make sure you get everything you need.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 11-23-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to get the ls2 chain and lifter cups were a planned item as well. As for the ARP bolts, they were like 3 times as much, so to me that means I can buy new bolts at least 1 more time and still come out cheaper. Hell if I have to pull the heads more than twice im gunna part the car out and get something else! Plus I did not think that I will be making all that much HP to worry about the GM bolts causing a problem. I did not know about the balancer bolt so thanks. As for the header gasket, it looks in good condition but is it really worth the pita i will cause to have to replace it if it goes out, or are they that good to be reused?

Hope to order by Monday!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've reused my stock header gaskets twice and so have a couple friends.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Measure those pushrods...I'm pretty sure TSP will swap them out with the correct length if the 7.4s don't work but no way I would just guess. That's why a lot of guys have valvetrain noise.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to get the ls2 chain and lifter cups were a planned item as well. As for the ARP bolts, they were like 3 times as much, so to me that means I can buy new bolts at least 1 more time and still come out cheaper. Hell if I have to pull the heads more than twice im gunna part the car out and get something else! Plus I did not think that I will be making all that much HP to worry about the GM bolts causing a problem. I did not know about the balancer bolt so thanks. As for the header gasket, it looks in good condition but is it really worth the pita i will cause to have to replace it if it goes out, or are they that good to be reused?

Hope to order by Monday!
The LS2 chain will be good but if you can swing it I would pick up a JWIS C5R timing chain. Don't think I've heard one bad thing about those chains ever. Make sure you pick up the LS2 lifter trays - they are inexpensive and those will be a nice upgrade from the LS1 trays. The GM head bolts should be completely fine. Have you looked into picking up a set of double springs instead of the behives? The behives would be fine with the lift of the cam you're looking at but again the doubles would be nice insurance upgrade. Other than that the list looks great man. Should be a very cool ride when all is said an done. When do you plan on starting and finishing?
Old 11-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MT0911
Also pick up some ARP Headbolts/Studs, very good quality and they are reusable unlike the TTY GM headbolts. The studs will be good if you plan on pulling the heads off in the future but if not then the ARP Headbolts will do just fine.
So ARP head bolts are reusable? I just want to make sure as I just had a cam swap done and ARP bolts were used but the heads are comming back off.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, you can re-use ARP head bolts
Old 11-25-2011, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1badWS6
Yes, you can re-use ARP head bolts
^ Correct
Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well its a done deal!!! Ordered all the above today. only thing different is I did get the double springs instead of the beehive. I also got the ls2 timing chain and lifter cups. Though I Got the 7.4 rods I also ordered the length checker just to make sure. Now all I need is the air tube gaskets and EGR block off plate. No way I am paying $15 for a 2" piece of metal.

Thanks for everyones help, now just need someone to come put it in for me.... lol
Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Well its a done deal!!! Ordered all the above today. only thing different is I did get the double springs instead of the beehive. I also got the ls2 timing chain and lifter cups. Though I Got the 7.4 rods I also ordered the length checker just to make sure. Now all I need is the air tube gaskets and EGR block off plate. No way I am paying $15 for a 2" piece of metal.

Thanks for everyones help, now just need someone to come put it in for me.... lol
Great! You made some good decisions, you'll feel like you have a different car when everything is installed .
Old 11-30-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Benefit of LS2 lifter trays? Link?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Benefit of LS2 lifter trays? Link?
Compared to the LS1 trays, the LS2 trays have stronger guides so the sturdier build prevents lifters from getting out of alignment. They are cheap and definitely the better way to go.

One tip: relating the oil retaining issue on the top end on a lot of LS1/LS6's, it is good practice when installing the LS2 lifter trays to drill 1/2 inch holes near each lifter to help release some of the oil:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/3827573-post14.html

Last edited by MT0911; 12-01-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Cool thank you

Quick Reply: Cam/Head install. Got everything?