General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Track car suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Track car suggestions

I've been wanting to get into autocross and I want a car that can handle pretty well but I don't want a miata i want something lsx. I don't really know how good fbodys handle I was thinking of selling my TA and getting a c5 z06 I don't want regular c5 even if it does have the handling package can't remember what it's called. My bugdet is around 20k, the car is gonna be pretty much a weekend warrior. What are your guys experiences with fbodys in autocross? How well does the c5z handle? Are there any other cars that you might suggest instead of an c5z? Also what ever car I choose whether I stick with my TA or find something else I plan on doing alot of handling upgrades, so tell me your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

I would upgrade the TA. Throw on some konis, strano springs, fully adjustable suspension and some good tires and it will handle pretty good.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

You can find a c5Z for around 20K or less. It's going to take some time but it can be done. If you stick with the TA give Sam Strano a call. He's been auto crossing F-bodies for a LONG time and is very successful. He sells a lot of handling upgrades for these cars. The biggest problem I have is with the front hub assemblies wearing out very quick. If you get into this check out Frrax.com. It may look like a dead forum but trust me there is a TON of very good info if you search. There is also a current thread on a new hub assembly being designed to use rebuildable units from a 3rd gen.

You already have the TA take half of that 20K and you can make a hell of a track machine. The biggest thing I can recommend is getting a good set of seats and at least a bolt in cage for some harnesses. There's nothing like not having to brace yourself during an on track session. Make sure the car is healthy do a good tune up and worry more about brakes and suspension than adding power. Oh and a Tick performance clutch master cylinder. Being able to shift at high RPM is a huge advantage....