General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Mostly Street and some stip set up..

Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Mostly Street and some stip set up..

I have a 99 T/A with the A4 and 2.73 gears. Current mods are slp lid, no cats, and loudmouth catback. I put the lid on, the exhaust was done when I got the car.

Now the car is mostly going to be a DD (like 24mpg highway and not pain in city to drive), but I want to take it to the track and have fun too. Prefer to run in the high 12s with stock rear and for most part the trans too. (atleast for now, when more funds are available, then the rear and tranny are getting beefed up...well rear is getting replaced).

I noticed with the 273 gears it feels bogged way down when I first get on it, and about everytime it shifts, did some research on here about new gears and it seemed a stall was a much better choice.

Anywho from doing research I have come up with the initial mods that I thought would be good, and just wanted to get some imput on what you guys with actual experience (unlike me currently) think.

Induction:
-lid (already on)
-LS6 intake

Exhaust:
Catback (installed)
TSP Stainless LT headers

Engine:
New valve springs (read about older ones at higher rpm developing having issue with floating) not sure about brand or which ones

Trans:
Trans cooler (not set on a specific one yet)
Stall Converter...possibly 3600 on street car (either yank or the vigilante)

Other:
HPTuners Pro Suite to tune the car.

Let me know what what you guys think as in part choices, overall performance, and what I may expect.

At least I have started my research before posting....gotta help me some lol

EDIT:
forgot I was looking at possibly getting 2 point SFC from Midwest Chassis also.

Last edited by JLoosh; 11-24-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should easily be able to reach your goals of a high 12.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Looks like you are on the right track, just know that LT's with that catback will get old on a DD. I ran a high 12 with basically the same bolt-on's you are adding. Added a stall, ram air setup, and sticky tires and ran a high 11 last month.

You could port and polish your TB and add a ram air setup, both are pretty good gains for the money. I'd like to toss an underdrive pulley on mine soon as that's one of the last bolt-on's I've yet to add.

Not sure how a 3600+ stall will drive with 2.73's as I ditched mine for 3.73's before adding a SS4000.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

I may try doing the P+P tb this winter when the car is parked, and I may have to add the under drive pulley to the list..forgot about that.

I wasnt sure about the stall with those gears either, I've seen where people have done it, but they never say much about how it drives as a dd. I dont know if I would want 3.73 gears though, just becuase it would kill economy, and I live in nw ohio and all we have is fields everywhere and there is alot of long country/highway driving...so those rpms would be up quite a bit most of the time (although they seem to be at most stop signs too lol)

Originally Posted by green28
Looks like you are on the right track, just know that LT's with that catback will get old on a DD. I ran a high 12 with basically the same bolt-on's you are adding. Added a stall, ram air setup, and sticky tires and ran a high 11 last month.

You could port and polish your TB and add a ram air setup, both are pretty good gains for the money. I'd like to toss an underdrive pulley on mine soon as that's one of the last bolt-on's I've yet to add.

Not sure how a 3600+ stall will drive with 2.73's as I ditched mine for 3.73's before adding a SS4000.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Launching!

UD pulley has modest gains for the price, I would hold off on that. Other than that, list looks good. You will need a sticky tire for the track.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 AM
On The Tree

What did you run with the 273 gears in the car? And what was all done to it at the time?

edit: at work and tired, but re read your post and seen you said high 12s. Was that with the original gears?
Old 11-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a lm1 when my car was bone stock , i loved it, but the more mods such as heads,cam etc totally made it raspy and loud as hell, i always tell people if you want loud and a great sound go with tsp duals, thats what i run and i can tell you a y pipe will never ever be on my car again
Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
i had a lm1 when my car was bone stock , i loved it, but the more mods such as heads,cam etc totally made it raspy and loud as hell, i always tell people if you want loud and a great sound go with tsp duals, thats what i run and i can tell you a y pipe will never ever be on my car again

Which tsp duals are you running? I think they have a couple different set ups, correct me if im wrong though

Also cats with the duals?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JLoosh
What did you run with the 273 gears in the car? And what was all done to it at the time?

edit: at work and tired, but re read your post and seen you said high 12s. Was that with the original gears?
Ran a 13.0X with 2.73's and 12.91 with 3.73's. Didn't do much for my car, the stall is what really woke mine up.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 798 Likes on 608 Posts

TSP catted Ypipe is quite nice

Search this Thread