Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

3 point SFCs or a Sway Bar kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 point SFCs or a Sway Bar kit?

Which would you buy? Car is only street driven, want to get a little more handling out of it and not much money to spend. Engine may see a small cam someday and the rear may very well get 4.11s, but for now, just bolt ons. Which would you rather have?

OR

Seems like some people may say get the standard 2 point connectors and a bigger rear sway bar...
Old 11-25-2011, 07:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A sway bar kit of the correct sizes will offer a much more noticeable handling upgrade then a set of SFC's. SFC's usually aren't noticeable but are a good protection item to have.

We offer a well balanced sway bar kit you would be pleased with.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 11-25-2011, 07:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there Timmy.

Do you know what size bars your car has now?

If it stays reasonably flat but tends to slide the front tires during hard cornering, you can help it rotate better with a larger rear sway bar. That bar coupled with 2-point SFC's is a great combo.

If it simply rolls too much and stresses you out because of it you can certainly upgrade both bars first then add SFC's later.

To add further confusion, we have customers whose very first install is 3-point SFC's and they can't believe how tight the car feels.

Let me know the bar sizes and in the meantime, check www.umiperformance.com to see our Thanksgiving-Cyber Monday pricing.

Good luck.

ramey
Old 11-25-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Which would you buy? Car is only street driven, want to get a little more handling out of it and not much money to spend. Engine may see a small cam someday and the rear may very well get 4.11s, but for now, just bolt ons. Which would you rather have?
(balanced, like 35/22)Swaybars will make a way bigger difference than SFCs(which did nothing for me, 3 point bolt ins that are welded BTW).
But good shocks will make the single biggest difference by far.

Seems like some people may say get the standard 2 point connectors and a bigger rear sway bar...
For handling, no, those "some people" would be wrong, and your car would be tail happy.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A good set of shocks and well balanced sway bars will do wonders compared to SFC`s .
Old 11-25-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First question -- what shocks do you have now? If OEM, I would be looking into new shocks first. However, I took a foundational approach, and did the SFCs welded and STB first, then shocks, then hollow sways on my Camaros. If done in that order you will understand the benefit of the SFCs and STB clearly, as good shocks tend to mask those benefits to some degree.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
For handling, no, those "some people" would be wrong, and your car would be tail happy.
This.

Originally Posted by cemlsx
A good set of shocks and well balanced sway bars will do wonders compared to SFC`s .
And this.

"Some people" don't understand how their car works and like to install SFCs and STBs first because these components can mask the effects of the poorly valved stock shocks.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with everything above and although I have good shocks/springs, I'm still getting MWC sfcs first to quiet all the squeaks and rattles...along with some sound deadener
Old 11-25-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

Try it improves the structural rigidity of the car, which only improves the benefits of better shocks, once installed.

Originally Posted by Ironhead
"Some people" don't understand how their car works and like to install SFCs and STBs first because these components can mask the effects of the poorly valved stock shocks.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

I did sub frame connectors by themselves, rear sway bar by itself, and front sway bar by itself, so I got to see the change each made. For a street only car, the subframe connectors probably won't give you the most noticeable effect. Sway bars will be much more noticeable! If you want to do one at a time, do the rear first. It has been mentioned that increasing the rear bar size only will make the tail happy... well, that depends. If you're aggressive on the gas (i.e. punch it during a turn) then yeah, it'll get tail happy much easier with a larger rear bar. However, if you're smooth on the gas a larger rear bar will balance the car better. Regardless, knowing what I know now, if I had to do it over again I'd go sway bars first (rear, then front if not done together) then sub frame connectors... but I'm a road racer as opposed to a 1/4 miler, and I'm pretty smooth as opposed to aggressive.

Mark.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The cool thing about our sport is the tuning. What works for one may not work for another depending on the combination. It's fun to do some research, make a decision, then evaluate the results!

ramey
Old 11-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned

Yes some koni springs and some suspension would handle great.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys, seems like SFCs make the most sense first (for foundational purposes), then some new shocks. It is really too bad we have zero ground clearance for a big exhaust when our cars are lowered on a nice set of springs.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: 3 point SFCs or a Sway Bar kit?